Alternative to bulging pockets ..

Now its shorts weather, I notice how a wallet, phone and keys destroys the look as I have no jacket to rely on.

Any suggestions? In my mid 40’s so not sure i should be wearing cross body pouches..

Reactions: J23
Well fitting cargo shorts go a long way, and don't look that bad, assuming they are actually well-fitting.
Other than that, you could always go with a belt pouch of some sort.

Now its shorts weather, I notice how a wallet, phone and keys destroys the look as I have no jacket to rely on.

Any suggestions? In my mid 40’s so not sure i should be wearing cross body pouches..
Not sure how much this helps - guessing we are a similar age & a friend uses a North Face cross body bag. Got to say it looks really good, as well as practical. He has his phone and keys in there. I have considered one, not sure I have the confidence to carry it off.

Handbag. Cross-body bag is infinitely ... well, everything better than a bumbag. At a push, a belt pouch might suffice.

Streamline what you do carry?

Exactly how much cash and how many cards do you actually really need to carry in a wallet? I have all my bank cards and store cards on my phone and so bought a really slimline wallet to carry just my debit & credit cards and my driving license. I don't actually use them, but if my phone was to lose power at least I have a card. I carry maybe £100 in notes folded in half and tucked in behind one of the cards. There's a little slot at the front which I've popped in an Airtag.

Keys. Like your wallet, just how many keys do you really need? Keyrings have a habit of accumulating keys. Pare it back! You need a car key and a house key. Organise the remainder onto keyrings that can be clipped together if/when the need arises. My keyring is my car key and my front door key ... and a Airtag.

Streamline.

... or wear a handbag.

Mid 40s here, really happy with my mini messenger bag... I've got two, one plain canvas, and another one which is more "sportsy".
(my wallet and keys are actually sufficiently small/slim to use my pockets, but the phones are so big these days that pockets really won't do)
For work I carry a laptop, so I wear a backpack.
But yeah, none of the above works with anything dressier, e.g. linen shirt and trousers...
I used to wear cargo shorts a lot, but my wife now insists I'm too old for that look now...

Your wife may be wrong of course ... mid 50s and still very much happy in cargo shorts. Mind you take that with a pinch of salt because 1) people think I'm 10 years younger than I am, and 2) the Mrs done the off. I don't think it was my shorts to blame but who can fathom it?

I've one of those slimline card holder wallets now because my old trifold one used to be bulging, mainly with receipts rather than banknotes alas. I tuck a score in there with the cards and a tenner in between phone and phone case.

My biggest problem is keys, and that's despite having a separate set for car, bike, mum's house and my daily carry. And then I make it worse by having an Angeleyes LED micro torch on there.

If I'm in stealth mode (eg going to London or out on the lash anywhere) I have a belt pouch thing that can discreetly carry cash, cards, mobile and the 2 essential keys for getting in. It almost completely disappears, the only reason I don't do this every day is that fumbling inside your shirt isn't a great look when paying for things or checking your phone.

Last edited:
Man bag / messenger bags do the job, as you can also carry around glasses / sunglasses / etc. My other half bought me a light canvas a while ago, and in the hot weather has been a godsend and means I no longer have to wear a jacket in even the hottest weathers!

I like to carry everything I may possibly need and I hate bulging pockets so I have a couple of bags, one is a 25ltr back pack which I normally just wear with one of the strap's over my shoulder and the other one is much smaller, say 5ltrs which can be worn with the strap across the body but I just sling the strap over one shoulder.
Each to their own but I would never be seen with a bum bag, ever! :)
A bag is a bag, no need to call them man bag's, it just sounds like you are trying too hard to justify using one whilst being a man.
No one gives a hoot if you are carrying a bag or not but nobody wants to see bulging pockets which ruin the look of your attire. I'm 58 by the way but believe any man can wear a bag at any age.
Phone, organiser, glasses, wireless earbuds, keys, pen knife, touch,, water, gaffer tape, strong zip ties, gloves, ok those last few things I don't carry but if you wanted to you could!

Paul.

I ditched my bulky wallet years ago for a ridge. Plenty room for my debit card, credit card and a clip on the back for a few notes. Keys and phone go into my front pockets and that’s it. Don’t carry more than I need these days. Hate clutter. If I need to carry more it goes into my work backpack.

I ditched my bulky wallet years ago for a ridge. Plenty room for my debit card, credit card and a clip on the back for a few notes. Keys and phone go into my front pockets and that’s it. Don’t carry more than I need these days. Hate clutter. If I need to carry more it goes into my work backpack.
Same here, Ridge all the way otherwise you just end up accumulating more crap in your wallet/bag etc.

I have a minimalist leather wallet that has two cards in it and they’re on my phone too. Cargo shorts for me and there’s no way I’m carrying any sort of bag other than a rucksack to the shops. No way in hell I could carry it off so pare it back and stick with cargo shorts which are grand for gardening in too. Stats wise, I’m 49, 6’ and far too bloody heavy! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom