Alternative sterilising... with baby sterilising tablets?

I have some baby sterilising tablets (to sterilise baby equipment, rather than the inhumane alternative meaning). Would these be fine for sterilising my razor?
Alternatively, could I use some cheap vodka?

I imagine both of these would do the same job as meths but was concerned there might be something present that would react with the nickel and chrome plating, and also, my Merkur 38 is the 38R model - it has a satin-like metallic red handle which I'm worried would be particularly prone to damage.

Or should, as some have said, just boil it and expect no harm?

Cheers for answering my stupid questions!

Re: Alternative sterilising... with baby sterilising tablets

Cold water sterilisers (like Milton and the like) are generally weak alkalis by their nature usually sodium hypochlorite solutions.

Where aluminium is concerned an alkali is a recipe for a horrible death (and hydrogen gas given off too). If I remember rightly from O-level chemistry, zinc is similarly dissolved in alkali - and your Merkur under the shiny plating is made of Zamak (a Zinc, Aluminium, Magnesium & Copper alloy) - how that alloy reacts in alkali (it may be different to the constituent metals), I don't know, but since two of the 4 components are attacked by alkali, I wouldn't use it on one of my razors (but I don't own a Merkur anyway)

hunnymonster said:
Cold water sterilisers (like Milton and the like) are generally weak alkalis by their nature usually sodium hypochlorite solutions.

Where aluminium is concerned an alkali is a recipe for a horrible death (and hydrogen gas given off too). If I remember rightly from O-level chemistry, zinc is similarly dissolved in alkali - and your Merkur under the shiny plating is made of Zamak (a Zinc, Aluminium, Magnesium & Copper alloy) - how that alloy reacts in alkali (it may be different to the constituent metals), I don't know, but since two of the 4 components are attacked by alkali, I wouldn't use it on one of my razors (but I don't own a Merkur anyway)
Thanks for that. Worth me posting then!
So would vodka or boiling be better, in your opinion?

NotTheStig said:
hunnymonster said:

Thanks for that. Worth me posting then!
So would vodka or boiling be better, in your opinion?

Drinking vodka while handeling boiling water is probably not a good idea, I'd say boil your razors, drink the vodka, in that order... ;)
(alcohol is not that great at sterilising, especially at 40% proof), you could add a teaspoon of bleach (1ts/2 litres), it's way more effective.

Max

Are you planning open heart surgery with it?

I'd probably throw the vodka out, drink a decent single malt & just shave with it. So long as it's not encrusted in "hobo whiskers" I suspect the only issue in the "yuk factor" of it being formerly someone else's razor.

If you really feel the absolute need to sterilise it, buy a bottle of Barbicide or Marvicide. Both do the same job and Barbicide at least is readily available even in a rural backwater like I live in. Sally's Salon Services is probably the most widespread emporium that sells it.

I also have to agree with HM.. the thing is all viruses die within a maximum of 48h, even quicker in a hostile environment, so no chance of getting Hep/HIV, most bacteria die over 40-45 degrees, a few need a bit more than that.. boiling your razor for 3-4 minutes is a sure way of killing anything that might be harmful. Your razor is more likely to pick up germs sitting on your bathroom sink once you've used it. (heat & moisture)

If you really want to kill everything, a pressure cooker (goes up to 120 degrees) is similar to an autoclave used in hospitals, can't go wrong with that.

Max

I still think the easiest and most sure fire way of sterilising razors is just to spend a couple of quid on a bottle of Barbicide (available from any Sallys beauty supply store), I soak all incoming and outgoing razors after cleaning and it puts my mind at rest.

i use this stuff with no ill affects yet

from alu tech to a rocket

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Sterilising-Tablets-64Pack_10089/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Sterilisi ... ack_10089/</a><!-- m -->

hando said:
i use this stuff with no ill affects yet

from alu tech to a rocket

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Sterilising-Tablets-64Pack_10089/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Sterilisi ... ack_10089/</a><!-- m -->
Thanks guys for all your responses.
I think I'll get the razor out for a thorough clean, get some single malt out, and then forget about the razor altogether!

I'm not sure barbicide is a good idea though - widespread killing of barbers seems a bit extreme.

We still have a box or two of the Milton tablets under the sink from the baby/toddler days and I think that is where they are going to stay for the time being!

I use Isopropyl Alcohol (available from Maplins, ebay and Medical supplies, who also stock isoprop wipes) for my equipment and containers.

just read the back of the packet and it states

'avoid prolonged exposure to metal parts'

i usually leave it for an hour but i'm sure i left one overnight by mistake :roll:

Back
Top Bottom