Allergic to ...? Help from ingredient experts needed

looks like we have some healthy debate on this one. Thanks to you all for your comments especially nanny.

I am not usually allergic to anything apart from pollen, I kinda prided myself on it. I have used other Almond creams and have eaten a variety of nuts and never had a reaction so am ruling that out.

As I say the reaction isnt major a slight red rash on the face and a stinging / burning which calms in a few hours, so not life threatening. I am trying to avoid buying anything else that may cause the same reaction but understand this could be difficult if this is something like a perfum additive which we dont know about. Just trying to avoid buying another £15 plus product I cannot use.

To throw something further in the mix I have been sent the ingredients by T&H for their No 10 cream which I also use:

No.10 Ingredients as follows:

Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Olea Europaea (Olive), Fruit Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool, Limonene, Phenethyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol.

Anyone else thought I may have got a more sympathetic response from T&H? I thought it would have been nice to offer me an exchange for something which I didnt react to especially as I have told them I use 3 other creams from their lines.

If this listed in the OP 'Tetrasodium, DTA' is a typo, and should read 'Tetrasodium EDTA', and you get on all right with the No. 10, then that leaves

Benzaldhyde, Phenoxethanol, Butylparaben, CI19140(yellow5), C17200(Red33), CI42090(Blue1) + parfum.

Aside from the Parfum, which can't be helped, have you checked the MWF and Godrej to see whether one or more of these of these appears in both?

I rather enjoy reading your exchanges, Carl & Chris. As soon as I read your first comment, Carl, I too thought, "So he can stay away from the problem ingredient". However, what is obvious to you certainly wasn't to me and your thorough explanation and reply was most informative and certainly strikes a chord. Fragrance has a hell of a lot to do with these reactions of irritability and as you say, one lavender is different from another. I do think you could perhaps both be a little less niggly towards one another and you are probably more guilty of that, Carl. Still, both of you are a darn sight cleverer than I, which admittedly is hardly an accolade to be proud of. Time Gentlemen, please.

Graeme, please feel free to stick your judgements where the sun don't shine.

Chris, I argue with you, you question my opinion; I agree with you, you question my integrity. Just how does one set about pleasing you?

the only thing that gave me any problem to date was Erasmic cream and i blamed that on some kind of coconut oil derivative, so i never used it again - simples

Bechet45 said:
Graeme, please feel free to stick your judgements where the sun don't shine.

Chris, I argue with you, you question my opinion; I agree with you, you question my integrity. Just how does one set about pleasing you?

Not questioning your integrity at all, Carl - I've yet to meet someone who is incapable of sarcasm, and it's well-known that internet fora are piss-poor at getting intention, tone and mood across. I hoped and imagined that your post was "as it read" and wasn't sarcastic, but I thought I ought to check before thanking you and commenting that we'd come to a broad agreement, albeit with some differences of opinion on the finer points.

Ok, if I can't please you, what does it take to get you to put it down? I have a young lady here rubbing my thigh and demanding attention and me absent-mindedly rubbing my hand all over her silky smooth body is not satisfying her - I have to go! She is utterly gorgeous and I love her to bits but she won't baulk at sticking her claws into my leg and I want to avoid that because I always have a bad reaction to it.

Aw, come on Carl. Surely one thread on the forum about sticking things up yer bum is quite enough. Besides, the sun shineth from there NOT on there. :icon_lol:

I never judge although I do opine but I'll leave the pair of you to it, I think.

Have fun...:D

Bechet45 said:
Ok, if I can't please you, what does it take to get you to put it down? I have a young lady here rubbing my thigh and demanding attention and me absent-mindedly rubbing my hand all over her silky smooth body is not satisfying her - I have to go! She is utterly gorgeous and I love her to bits but she won't baulk at sticking her claws into my leg and I want to avoid that because I always have a bad reaction to it.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

soapalchemist said:
If this listed in the OP 'Tetrasodium, DTA' is a typo, and should read 'Tetrasodium EDTA', and you get on all right with the No. 10, then that leaves

Benzaldhyde, Phenoxethanol, Butylparaben, CI19140(yellow5), C17200(Red33), CI42090(Blue1) + parfum.

Aside from the Parfum, which can't be helped, have you checked the MWF and Godrej to see whether one or more of these of these appears in both?

All the ingredients were pasted from the Email from T&H but it could have been their typo. I looked at the box earlier and it had the ingredients on the side will check it again later to see if it was a typo.

I shall see if I can find the ingredients to MWF and Godrej.

The ingredients of MWF are as follows:

Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate,
Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl
Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium
Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium
EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Have emailed Godrej pics of the tube say PEG-30, Lanolin & Glycerine but there must be more than that

The list is narrowing, and getting the ingredients for those two may just narrow it down more. To me it's unacceptable that most sites selling cosmetics don't list the ingredients; anyone in your position who may get to the stage of confidently identifying a cause of irritation will find it of not much help when internet buying. But I guess if enough people pester them about it, eventually they'll realise that it's actuall less costly to just put it on the site, than to respond to the emails.

It's down to per centages. If I sell a million units of a product and one hundred people complain, I'm sert to carry on selling it and answer a few emails and letters. If the number of complaints grows sufficiently large, I'll quietly withdraw the product, saying nowt.

I notice from all the Contents Lists that 1. they list perfume without any detail at all and 2. a lot of the stuff they do list reads like chemical warfare! I wonder if they teach monkies to shave and look for ill effects before releasing stuff for our consumption.

Sod! Thought my jaw was a bit itchy yesterday and by this morning I was puzzled about how to shave! Current suspect is some Ayurvedic soap in the shower - and ingredients list of fruit and veg a mile long! Anyway, I am reminded to speak of a 'cure' for skin reactions - red, blotchy, itchy, stinging.

I put on Eurax cream so thick I look like a Japanese opera singer straight after shaving. It stings like an alcohol based after shave for a little while but when it calms down, my face has, too - feels like normal. I used to use antihystamine creams but they are more expensive and don't work as well - for me, anyway.

They now have a E45 for sensitive skin on sale, not as thick as your Eurax Carl and soaks in to your skin easily, no nasty smell either. I've used it on my face a few times with no side effects, though like you said about the Eurax it does sting for a few minutes when applied.

Back
Top Bottom