All in moderation

this is a great site, with little need for moderation but every know and again a member may need a little reminder hence a PM from a mod.

When you recieve a PM you get a little red alert on your page.

Does it really warrant a over zealous post to the world announcing a bollocking incoming from a MOD? Anyone who recieved such a PM will feel duty scolded at the time and doesn't really need the world knowing of his mistakes.

Serves a dual purpose to do it this way.

Issue a general warning defining the line not to cross.
Someone posts crossing the line (whilst acknowledging that they'd read the warning)

1. Consequences follow for the poster
2. Now you all know exactly what is coming if you step over the defined line so I hope you don't repeat the mistake.

(Also I'm pretty sure that if you're banned you can't read any PMs)

I see your points admin but I think Al is referring to a post in the bst.
Maybe the OP had made a mistake in his original post?
The OP isn't banned so I'm sure a pm would have sufficed and whatever mistake was made could be edited in the post, without the grandiose gesture from a mod stating that a pm was incoming.

Last edited:
Cheers Peter, that's what I meant.

I refer you to this post. Dipesh is one of the more well respected members of this forum. Yes he makes a mistake in his post but a quiet word in his shell-like corrects the mistake.

This is typical of the "look at me" over moderation sometimes taking place on the forum. In my opinion it's not respectful and is off putting for some members me included. Like I said (and dipesh not being on the banned list as I'm sure you are aware) he would get the notification and amend as necessary.

Being military I have come across the people who like to be seen to be shouting. I always preferred taking the young guy to one side and explaining his wrongs. I'm old fashioned like that.

Thanks. And thanks for allowing me here on the first place.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 61
Being military I have come across the people who like to be seen to be shouting. I always preferred taking the young guy to one side and explaining his wrongs. I'm old fashioned like that.
I hope you can see the irony in what I quoted from your post. A PM to an admin voicing your concerns would have brought less attention to the issue. Please keep in mind that the mods are only trying to keep things running smoothly for the benefit of everyone. I don't know which other forums you frequent but it surprises me that you feel there is a culture of 'over moderation' here. If you disagree with any mod actions then feel free to report it with the report button or a PM to an admin.

Since the post referred to was placed by me, I shall explain. There are a number of mods and admins on this forum and the system does not allow one to know what other mods are doing. Posting that a PM has been sent by a moderator alerts other mods that a matter has been dealt with and prevents a poster receiving a number of PMs from different moderators. It also alerts the OP that an incoming PM is NOT a sales-related enquiry or offer. I believe this to be a polite thing to do and not in any sense derogatory.

If admin decide that all moderation issues should be dealt with in secrecy then I shall follow that path.

Not to cause an argument but I have also personally been asked by several members, as to private sales of brushes, as they were not happy to post following certain moderation.
Some have subsequently left.
Do you refer to your friends who joined TSR for the sole purpose of taking advantage of Bernd or to something else, Nishy?

Back
Top Bottom