Aftershave Splash Allergy?

Recently, I have turned almost exclisively to using a/s splashes. At one stage I appeared to be unable to use them, but a small adjustment in my shaving routine corrected this, and I have been enjoying using them.

Until recently.

Over, umm, probably the last month, I have had some nasal issues, where one of my nostrils has become almost completely blocked, not by snot, but seemingly just closing up and resticting the airflow. This then led to some rather unpleasent and almost daily headaches.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, I have avoided using an a/s splash, and I have had no issues. This morning, I used Old Spice Whitewater a/s, and I am now having some issues with my left nostril being blocked.

I know that there are people that are fragrance sensitive, but I have worn cologne that didn't affect me, but seemingly, something in some of my splashes is.

Anybody else heard of this or suffer from similar?

Ian

I get it from certain colognes. I can't pin point what ingredient it is which causes it.

Also I thought for a while it may have been cheap chemical substitutes within the cologne which caused it but no.

Cheapest thing that gave me this reaction was some of Lynx/Axe fragrances. Some mid priced off the shelf EDT's has caused it (a few Kalvin Klein ones were worst) and finally even high enders like Gris Clair by Serge Lutens and Kyoto by Comme des Garcons (stupid money, only had samplers) has caused it.

The Serge Lutens (high end of the market all natural ingredients etc) has given me the worst reaction giving me migraine like symptoms.

There is every possibility that something in the OS Whitewater just doesn't agree with you.

P.S. Ian is the reaction almost instantaneous? Because with me I can tell almost straight away.

Best cure for this is just avoid what you know is affecting you.

When it happens to me, a few minutes after a spray/splash etc my sinus gets irritated and it all goes downhill from there.

I just avoid everything that I know disagrees with me.

Actually the most recent thing which has given me a headache like this was a bowl of wilkinson sword (black) soap. Stinks to high hell. Will probably put it in a pif.

Have you tried it with any other AS or is it just OS whitewater?

O/S Whitewater today.

On saturday morning I used AV which seemed okay, but in the evening I used Ogallal with Lime and Pepperwotsits and that seemed to kick it off.

Ian

If you're sensitive to scents then Bay Rum is one that could agitate it, It can be quite full on.

OS whitewater is quite mild compared to bay rum and AV really sits in the middle.

You fancy a wee PIF of Speick AS to see if that does it or not?

+1 big stylie on a lot of both of those posts.

Amazing headaches from, too many Eaus & parfums, soaps and hair products deodorants and cleaning stuff.

Sometimes instant pain that feels like the brain is trying to rip itself into pieces; sometimes vertiginous sensations, feverish symptoms and/or nausea; often accompanied by the feeling that the bones from skull/jaw/neck (down the spine into the arms and beyond occasionally). are fusing together, grinding and crumbling into the muscles and locking up movement. Sometimes other weird stuff like sensory hallucinations etc.

Lots of fun - not.

Urban Hermit said:
Sometimes instant pain that feels like the brain is trying to rip itself into pieces; sometimes vertiginous sensations, feverish symptoms and/or nausea; often accompanied by the feeling that the bones from skull/jaw/neck (down the spine into the arms and beyond occasionally). are fusing together, grinding and crumbling into the muscles and locking up movement. Sometimes other weird stuff like sensory hallucinations etc.

Lots of fun - not.

*sigh* Haven't I told you about the paint thinners before?

In all honesty though, I have felt like this a couple times because of scents. If it happens then nothing will cure it apart from sleep.

Urban Hermit my guess would be that like me you tend to avoid the things you know that trigger these reactions.

andyjreid said:
If you're sensitive to scents then Bay Rum is one that could agitate it, It can be quite full on.

OS whitewater is quite mild compared to bay rum and AV really sits in the middle.

You fancy a wee PIF of Speick AS to see if that does it or not?

I have some others to try, but I'll give you a nod if I think the Speick is required for, ahem, scientific study.

Ian

andyjreid said:
Urban Hermit said:

Lots of fun - not.

*sigh* Haven't I told you about the paint thinners before?

In all honesty though, I have felt like this a couple times because of scents. If it happens then nothing will cure it apart from sleep.

Urban Hermit my guess would be that like me you tend to avoid the things you know that trigger these reactions.

I try to, but it is very difficult sometimes to aviod triggers, especially when they are worn by others. I don't drive anymore, (medical reasons primarily), so the olfactory-raffle of public transport can make an alright seeming-seeming day, suddenly turn into misery and pain, and potentially even open hostility - probably comes from feeling trapped in a shithole bus for an hour or so, with people who won't realise that fresh air is better for them than snorking back everyone's germs, perfume and such. Makes one pine for the days of natural, honest body odour.

Are you sure Serge Lutens isn't using synthetic scent Andy? I'm just interested to know, as, as far as I am aware UH hasn't had any problems with my soaps, which use just whole essential oils for scent. I know that modern scents can contain man made molecules.....so it wouldn't be surprising if some people's noses didn't like them. I've had a quick look at their website, and it doesn't say anywhere that they only use natural ingredients......for a perfumer it would be surprising if they were and weren't shouting it from the rooftops.

soapalchemist said:
Are you sure Serge Lutens isn't using synthetic scent Andy? I'm just interested to know, as, as far as I am aware UH hasn't had any problems with my soaps, which use just whole essential oils for scent.

No problems at all with any of them, that's why I keep getting more of them I guess...
:cool:

• Even the scents I wasn't too sure about whether I would like, have been great to use, and I've even liked their smells. [/list:u]

Just a quick update on this.

Since I last used the OS Whitewater, I have shelved all my a/s splashes and gone back to balms. Since doing this, I have not had any nasal/sinus issues, and I have not had to use any sinus sprays.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom