Aftershave lotions...

Some people use nothing and others only use Alum or Witch Hazel. I enjoy an additional balm or cream too and was interested to hear what you use after the shave?

At the moment I'm using Tabac Aftershave Balm but I also enjoy the Taylor of Old Bond Street Aftershave Balm Gels occasonally. I've just sent off for some Proraso Liquid Aftershave Cream to try out as I read a few good reviews on it earlier today.

There are others I would really fancy as well but, to be honest, the prices are a little on the high side to risk. Examples would be Geo F Trumper Shaving Skin Food, D R Harris Aftershave Milk and aftershave balms from Truefitt & Hill, Castle Forbes and The Art of Shaving.

Does anyone have a favourite aftershave lotion and any recommendations?

Mark

it varies... in the old days i had to use soothing and cooling balms. But having got my kit, and my technique down, my shaves are now so irritation free, that i quite enjoy a proper good old aftershave splash.

TOBS eton college, st james and mr taylor are firm favourites.

I also like using clinique aftershave balm, witch hazel or sometimes just moisturising lotion depending on mood.

Like Shrink I use a splash now rather than balms, but having said that T+H 1805 is a very nice balm. In fact they sell a test pack so that you can get ideas of what they're all like. I used Body Shop Kistna for a while too, that's very fruity and fresh smelling. Cheap too.

Some splashes that I use:
Ogalalla bay rum original. Not bad, sweet for a bay rum and can get slightly sickly after a while.
Ogalalla bay rum limes and peppercorns. Very nice and fresh.
Caldey Island lavender. Very pleasant indeed, summery and floral.
TOBS bay rum. Nice, very spicy, but no longevity. 5 minutes later, it's gone.
Barbershop Bay Rum. Complex and very appealing indeed, and cheap to buy.

I'll quite often use an EDT instead, my favourite so far is Crabtree and Evelyn's West Indian Limes.

Moisturising, no. I finish a shave with cold water and then a little moisturiser, and then put my splash on last.

I think splashes feel fresher than balms as they don't leave a greasiness like some balms can.

yeah i use splashes to freshen up and tighten the skin... close the pores and add a nice smell.

once the aftershave has properly dried into the skin, i apply a moisturiser to stop the skin drying out.

Usually I use a splash, but the two other things which work well for me are ordinary distilled witch hazel, and just plain old cold water. I haven't needed moisturiser for the last couple of winters, and that can only be down to the straight razors as nothing else has changed.

I don't really need aftershave - just a splash of cold water does the trick for me.

If I need a quick blast of something but don't want to use cologne, I'll splash on some Old Spice, Benjamins Bay Rum, Aqua Velva or Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

Like Joe, Benjamins bay rum is good a good splash this time of year especially on the back of the neck to cool down; also comes in bay rum with menthol. Leave me with just two splashs, at the moment, then it would be Harris bay rum & Harris sandalwood.

Back
Top Bottom