Advice Please?

Does anyone have a guaranteed method of removing "sticky stuff" from products? [cue Pig Cat]

I have laid claim to a container, which previously held black peppercorns. Perfect height and diameter to hold a larger than travel brush (er, when travelling) and it has a lid. Made for the job.

The labels are all off but a very sticky residue is left. There must be a trick to removing it - does anyone have the knowledge?

:?

Tips from my wifes favourite site

If the label is on a dish, vase or other small glass object, soak it in warm soapy water until the label comes off.

Spray the label with window cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes. Rub it off with a cloth or paper towel. Repeat this until all of the glue residue is gone.

Soak a piece of cloth or paper towel with vinegar. Lay it on the label and leave it for about 10 minutes. Once the vinegar soaks the sticker, it should come right off. If the sticker is on a window, spray the vinegar on with a spray bottle.

Rub baby oil on the sticker and let it sit for a few minutes. Then, rub the sticky label off. Vegetable oil also works for this.

Take a hair dryer and wave it over the sticker until the glue is hot and soft enough for the sticker to be peeled off.

Put a dab of nail polish remover on a cotton ball and use that to rub off the sticky label.

I use band aid remover, it's made to replace Diethyl ether which is hard to come by these days. (has the same funky smell!) My one contains PPG-2 méthyl ether, C11-13 isoparaffin you can get it at your local pharmacy, boots, etc...
But Acetone/nail polish remover is good stuff too. (a bit tricky on some plastics)

FB.

I use surgical glue remover, available both in wipes and a spray can. It depends on the glue and the container, removing sticky residue from my passport sticker with a dab of Isopropyl alcohol made the ink run and it gave me some grief as every customer offices thought it was dodgy. For hard plastic the trick is getting it off without scratching the container, hence it is usually best to dissolve if possible.

I use this stuff, it was a couple of quid in the Focus DIY store....

sticky_stuff%5B4%5D.gif

I did the same and converted a peppercorn pot into a travel tube, drilled a few holes in the top and bottom to allow air to flow and help the brush dry. The label was a pain to remove as I remember, I soaked it in hot water to get the paper off and got rid off the glue residue with ethanol.

Better to use an alcohol solvent if you can get it, rather than acetone/nail polish remover as it's less likely to affect the plastic.

Lighter fluid removes all petroleum based sticky stuff guaranteed . Evaporates, no stink, no damage, no residue.
Acetone is good too (nail varnish remover)

Not that your likely to have this lying about but I found that the best sticky stuff remover I ever used was a product called "Fast Fret" which is guitar neck/strings, polish/cleaner wqorks a treat.

There's a wipe for removing sticky residue from electric conduction pads (yup, for sending electricity through folks skin into their bodies - don't ask how I know this stuff).

• You can buy it from behind the chemists' counters, and I think it's called Zoff; it is fantastic at getting the hot fried gunk off of stuff, including hair-matted human skin (I said, don't ask).[/list:u]

Andy

Remove the ring (if possible) and put it in the freezer overnight, if irremovable, big bag of ice and wait till it freezes, bit of luck should just about fall off.

Back
Top Bottom