Advice on how to clean up fat handle tech

Hi all, quick query. I have been given a fat handle that is a bit of a state (A blade had been left in it for quite a while and there is abit of plate loss). After alot of soaking in hot water with washing up liquid and scrubbing but it still hasn't removed all of the rust bits! Could I use a wire brush attachment on a dremal or would that remove more of the plating. Pictures below:
100_0328.JPG

100_0329.JPG

100_0330.JPG

Raid the kitchen cupboards!

Soak in coca cola or vineagar. Or scrub with bicarbonate of soda and vineagar and an old tooth brush. If it's still not coming off then a green scotch pad (pan scourer) or very fine wire wool. A dremel would would work but I find they make things unusually shiny.

If the Mrs isn't looking, add it in to the dish washer. I find this way works wonders with dirty/tarnished mountain bike parts. (Old tyres come up a treat in the washing machine, the side walls gleam with newness.)

tadpole said:

Soak in coca cola or vineagar. Or scrub with bicarbonate of soda and vineagar and an old tooth brush. If it's still not coming off then a green scotch pad (pan scourer) or very fine wire wool. A dremel would would work but I find they make things unusually shiny.

If the Mrs isn't looking, add it in to the dish washer. I find this way works wonders with dirty/tarnished mountain bike parts. (Old tyres come up a treat in the washing machine, the side walls gleam with newness.)

Your Mrs must love you.........:D:D:rolleyes:

tadpole said:

:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin: I wish my wife was as forgiving as yours!!
regards, beejay

monkeytennis said:
Will have to buy some vinegar when I get back up home.any other tips?

Don't laugh but toothpaste (with bicarb if possible) and a stiff toothbrush, Silvo (milder version of Brasso), car chrome polish. I have a box of cleaning stuff, I tend to steer clear of vinegar as it is a mild acid and may turn the nickel black if you get it wrong. Your razor just looks dirty, usually if the plating has gone it turns green......

New old razors soak for about a day in Barbicide scrubbing with a stiff tooth brush when I remember. At the end of the day most everything Is gone.

missingskin said:
tadpole said:

Your Mrs must love you.........:D:D:rolleyes:

So must his shirts!
:angel:

Back
Top Bottom