Advice for newbies (pic included)

Advice for people new to DE shaving.

Listen to the advice you are given here within this forum.

Do not, under any circumstances, try anything shaving related which you'd normally class as an act of poor judgement.

Or else..................

100MEDIA_IMAG0019.jpg

You know what RB73, I just made the biggest error in judgement ever.

My mind was a bit fuzzy but I'd been reading about "back to basics" and decided to do a North to South pass which on my neck in that area is mainly ATG however it doesn't matter which way I shave there cos every way is ATG.

Just made a total cock of it and feel like a tool. I always get irritation in that area of my neck regardless of what blade/razor combo I use but I just totally shitted it up this morning.

Im not really sure what else to say about it............ :oops:

If I'm honest that part of my neck always gets red, just never usually that bad. I can't quite find the sweet spot I used to have and can't work out where Im going wrong. Unless I just can't handle a razor anymore. Ha ha.

Ouch Andy!

That looks a wee bit nasty.

Maybe Sunday is the day for making errors? I ask this because today was the second Sunday that I had used my Slim adjustable and both times I have been a bit careless at the end and hurt my neck. Last week was just to the left of my Adam's apple and this time I had finished and lazily lifted the razor from my skin then placed it back down at an angle nicking my neck :(

Unfortunately I get the same on my neck even if I go XTG which is N to S for me. As awkward as it is I have to shave WTG on that problem patch as the beard is running horizontal. Apply plenty of AS and let it grow out it should calm down.

I realise you weren't asking for specific advice but there it is for other members. Your'e right Andy you haven't seen much sun recently. ;)

I get the same as Andy and Tony.

My remedy is a rubbing generous amount of Proraso in the neck for 10' while I shower, taking my time in applying lather & massaging with brush later on and following grain direction while shaving the neck area.

So far it works to a great extent, and I am happy. Thanks to TSR and all advice and comments here that assisted me improving my shaving technique over the last 8 months. :)

Mockery? Vin, have you caught a bit of sunstroke while out on a municipal?

This isn't about the tools that were used and neither was the advice.

i thought this only happened to me if i go ATG with anything but a mild razor

Feather Popular, Aluminium Tech and a low-set adjustable
but i managed it with a Red Tip SS last outing, still have to be careful mind so it's rare i do it at all

good advice Andy

I get a similar, maybe not as severe a reaction if going against the grain in that area. Now I don't bother as with and then an across is close enough for me and I don't get any irritaion.

I think sometimes we fixate about getting the absolute ultimate shave when 95% there is good enough.

Looks like you have very sensitive skin as do I..try a very mild razor like a Gillette tech or even try a straight..I do have a coarse beard so I go 4-5 passes with ANY DE/SE blade and about 3.5 with my straight razors..I also use an SE handle which is very smooth with stainless steel blades as well..

Here to help!
Blades

I've only had one patch as bad as that in quite a while and as i have to shave at least mon-fri, i had to approach the darkside :shock: I had to go electric. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have a wet/dry Philishave that was bought for me a while ago and by lathering up wash soap all over the area and very lightly going over it, i managed to keep the growth down without further irritation until it calmed down.

Back
Top Bottom