Adiós, Vie-Long

I had an email this morning (Tuesday 19th September, 2023) from BullGoose in the USA, about a Vie-Long "close-out".

It seems that Vie-Long have also packed up, which is a great shame. I suppose there may be someone, somewhere, who makes them, but Vie-Long
were my favoured source for horsehair brushes, which were affordable, effective and well-made.

Is nothing sacred these days?

There seem to be a good few brushes for sale on e-Bay. But for how long...?

Love those handles!
Interesting. Quite a lot of badgers, and unless I'm mistaken, most of the horsehairs are from Germany. The UK seller is Maguire's in Newcastle, but I'll say no more about that.

I have one of their badger/horsehair mix brushes, and it's nowhere near as good as the plain horsehairs. Nothing to match a badger/boar mix, but that's another story.

I had an email this morning (Tuesday 19th September, 2023) from BullGoose in the USA, about a Vie-Long "close-out".

It seems that Vie-Long have also packed up, which is a great shame. I suppose there may be someone, somewhere, who makes them, but Vie-Long
were my favoured source for horsehair brushes, which were affordable, effective and well-made.

Is nothing sacred these days?
I was just thinking of getting one of their horsehair brush! which is the best model in your opinion?

I think it now rather depends on what you can find in stock anywhere. My personal preference has been for the white fan-shaped horsehair brushes, as I've found that the white ones are a little less prone to tangling than the brown hair bulb models. That said, I've had mine for quite a few years, and they last well with a little bit of care. There's nothing very fancy in the way of handles, but the standard ones look good and handle well. Mine are either white or butterscotch, and I like the look of the latter with either colour hair. White looks best with brown hair.

Nothing to match a badger/boar mix, but that's another story.
I am also looking to buy one, but not really sure which to go for. There are few options between semogue (however I would avoid the metal ring as I had bad experience with that in the past), zenith I know they also do this mix and in italy you can find one from extrò (italian flag handle). Are you aware of anyone else? which is the best iyo?

One of the best badger/boar(bristle) brushes is or was Vulfix. They aren't very large, and I think they've stopped making them. Shave Lounge apparently have a couple, and they're not expensive at £10.95. The Vulfix "pure badger" brushes are OK, but the mixed ones are in my view better. There were two models, the "Mayfair" and the "Grosvenor", both about the same knot size.

Back
Top Bottom