Acquisitions - April 2024

Enabled by @donnie_arko the other day, this GF Wild Hog just arrived ...

AP1GczPZ0s4W6Qu0QAUkGXPXlE_NkcKfSLo36iXxRzLvGIitx0OAVKZOR5eSAAYdrTCFZy9Ez0epbSr9li6M87sbnQQy0uVGghAb2CjOuNC7z-w3zxd_OQCv3qMPpixnB_uN4-EhOr_h9HfWvzjpr26Ig1FEFg=w800

I've just given the brush a test lather and I am sure I'll be very happy with it. Good spring to the bristles!

Previously, I have had a 48 or maybe a 49 and did not like the tall loft. I'd not realised that the Proraso and this one are shorter lofts, so very happy to have found that out. I have a Shave Factory (red) unbleached incoming as well ... same dimensions, I believe.

I find brush knots are like spectacles and bicycle frames, one or two millimetres can feel like a mile, and be all the difference in the world — "size matters, useless say the contrary". Lovely brush and an absolute steal; enjoy...

Omega make it ... we know that much.

Omega used to make it but Shave Factory changed suppliers and now another company (a Turkish one) make their brush. I bought my SF brush from Amazon direct and it was the synthetic knot. I think LaBarbiera have the last Omega made ones. The ones I had were definitely not Omega!

This is the listing for the brush I bought directly from Amazon.

• Classic:- It's no wonder the Arko Shave Soap is one of the biggest selling shave soaps worldwide, punching above it's weight at a very low price point, producing a wonderfully rich, creamy lather that protects and prevents drag.
  • Traditional scent:- clean, fresh and lemony, brings you right back into a traditional barber shop.

I own a lot of soaps, pretty much all more expensive than Arko, sometimes significantly. Arko seems to be the soap I always go for when I've lost interest in shaving as a hobby, but still need to get it done.

IMG_4846.jpegIMG_4847.jpeg
It’s taken a while but my best mate is significantly more handy than I am and he’s taken a spare shelf I had from our bathroom unit and with basic design we worked out, made it made an excellent razor and brush stand. It matches the wood and style of our bathroom perfectly as well. It will hold two brushes and eight razors, and sits perfectly as if it was a part of our cabinet originally. I’m really very happy with it, I’ll probably keep my titanium and steel razors on it and rotate them so to avoid any potential issues with them being in a humid environment, but don’t think that will matter much with my solid metal razors.

Enabled by @donnie_arko the other day, this GF Wild Hog just arrived ...

AP1GczPZ0s4W6Qu0QAUkGXPXlE_NkcKfSLo36iXxRzLvGIitx0OAVKZOR5eSAAYdrTCFZy9Ez0epbSr9li6M87sbnQQy0uVGghAb2CjOuNC7z-w3zxd_OQCv3qMPpixnB_uN4-EhOr_h9HfWvzjpr26Ig1FEFg=w800

I've just given the brush a test lather and I am sure I'll be very happy with it. Good spring to the bristles!

Previously, I have had a 48 or maybe a 49 and did not like the tall loft. I'd not realised that the Proraso and this one are shorter lofts, so very happy to have found that out. I have a Shave Factory (red) unbleached incoming as well ... same dimensions, I believe.
I have the Wild Hog, which I bought out of curiosity. But what is so special about the Shaving Factory brush?

One of my favourite colours. How’s the knot?
It’s a beauty … didn’t know theirs bits of green as it’s my first time having a blue opal.

Knot is fantastic… I asked Anna to make me this as they don’t have many chubby 3 offerings in the site… so asked for this one to be made.

Asked for maximum splay and it doesn’t disappoint.

Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Merkur Vision 2000, discontinued some years ago in favour of their current Futur version. I have seen very few for sale and then at insane prices. However, I thought it was worth checking on the web peoples comments. They used words such as “beast”, “bit of a fiddle to clean“, “expensive’, and pointed out that V-I-S-I-O-N had been used instead of 1-6 numbering :eek: . However, also used were “great shave“ , “my favourite ever”. So all very marmite I guess. I found one for sale, new and unused, in Germany at a very good price so took the plunge.
I used it this morning for my SOTD ;)

IMG_0582.jpeg

Oh I’m loving the metal ‘ring’ in the design @gile. Another string to your bow! I sense a Father’s Day order coming on. If I can unsubtly suggest it to my kids and wife I sense another brush heading this way!
Well this was one of the things I wanted to try for some time and definitely is not that hard to do but it holds some of the challenges. The very next one I tried to do almost ended up with a disaster so I need to figure out few things yet.

Bagged a fresh bottle of Pashana - there has been an ownership change in the last year or two but the juice is very much the same. Glass bottle still, which is nice (same bottle as modern Hai Karate, I noticed) but the nice top has been replaced by a plastic one. Luckily I'd not chucked my last nice bottle and so I have a spare top.

IMG_4321.jpeg
IMG_4322.jpegIMG_4323.jpeg
Old is Denman
New is Hive of Beauty Limited with Fitch Labs as the EU address (in Dublin)

Back
Top Bottom