Acquisitions 26th April - 2nd May

Placed three orders at the same time last week.

First one to arrive from the Shaving Shack.

Merkur Vision
Merkur Leather case for Futur
Some blades

Two more packages on their way (one from Paul, one from Pen's).

Acq_26Apr003.jpg

Acq_26Apr001.jpg

Bought an old Heljestrand, I think it´s older than most and before they put numbers on the blades (Mk no 31 etc). It has a nice weight and will look even better when Neil is done with it, still has a nice edge (possible to shave, but not very nice ... yes, I _had_ to try :eek: ) and will need honing.

Attachments

• Helje.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 226
10 Feathers
10 Astra Platinums
10 Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge Stainless

My own little sampler, with better technique my current favourites seem like they are lacking so picked up some of the acknowledged sharper blades for a try out and a few more of the Astra's as I was impressed with the single sampler that came with my Bulldog recently.

Went to a couple of local chemists yesterday and got
Wilkinson blades
Erasmic stick (not the tallow one - boo!)
Good to know I've got a local shop that sells decent blades at a very reasonable price (80p) if I'm ever desperately low on stocks. I also went to my local TK Maxx but didn't find anything worth buying.

Then today I went to the Kirkcaldy TK Maxx and got
Peckinsniff shave soap Fern
Peckinsniff shave soap Leather
for a bargain price as they were in the reduced bit, and nipped around the corner to the cheapo homestore and picked up another tube of
RSC after shave balm
which I got a tester tube of a couple of weeks ago and really liked, but this full size tube is packaged differently and has the same ingredients listed on the back, but in a different order so it must be a slightly different formula. I hope it works as well as the tester I have.

While I was in TK Maxx I had a scout in the homeware section for a shave bowl. They had a lovely bowl with a slightly ridged inside which would probably have been perfect if it was a touch thicker, but instead I got this - again for cheap (£2) because of the chip in the lid. They had other colours for just £5 with intact lids.

smll3_cr.jpg

It's just so dinky I had to buy it to try it. If anything it's slightly too small for lathering (If I get a big brush it'll not work) but it fits in my bathroom cabinet like it was made to measure, so it'll do for now.

smll2_cr.jpg

Good size for a soak, and once it's warmed up it retains heat exactly like you'd expect good stoneware to.

smll1_cr.jpg

Works well. Due to the smaller size I have to adopt a more....civilised lathering motion, but the handles are useful and with patience the results are the same. This was with the Leather Peckinsniffs and I didn't work the soap well enough so it's a bit thin and airy, but quantity is not an issue.

Received a Czech and Speake 88 soap today, the smell out of box was really nice, this is a strong scented soap but I like that. I am looking forward to trying this and my bowl of old formula Penhaligon's English Fern and seeing how they compare. Both are similar in ingredients so it is a fair fight.

PS if you are thinking about buying the C&S soap order the sample set for £2.50, this gives you a fiver off any aromatics, the soap which is £20 counts in this category so the net is you get a soap and complete set of the scents in trial sizes for £17.50 which is less than the list of the soap alone (they ship free in the UK).

Hurrah.... following the inconvenience of a certain ash cloud, my new Simpsons brush arrived from the USofA

I decided on getting rid of my Chubby 1 Best, that I needed another good soap brush but with a more comfortable handle (for me). So I was drawn towards the Simpsons special order brush called the "Ehsan" after the B&B(spit) user who requested the order via Bullgoose Shaving.

Its a wonderful handle loaded with densely packed two-band super badger hair. The bristles are stiff but with tremendously soft tips. This is now called "THE COLONEL" in my collection!

This morning I pulled out the 1947 superspeed, new Tesco(israeli) blade, Palmolive/Erasmic mix soap and "THE COLONEL"
Tremendous... I have found the brush to be buried with ;)
[attachment=0]

Attachments

• yhst-16445739206724_2098_8539269 (Medium).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 93
guyhayton said:
Hurrah.... following the inconvenience of a certain ash cloud, my new Simpsons brush arrived from the USofA

I decided on getting rid of my Chubby 1 Best, that I needed another good soap brush but with a more comfortable handle (for me). So I was drawn towards the Simpsons special order brush called the "Ehsan" after the B&B(spit) user who requested the order via Bullgoose Shaving.

Its a wonderful handle loaded with densely packed two-band super badger hair. The bristles are stiff but with tremendously soft tips. This is now called "THE COLONEL" in my collection!

This morning I pulled out the 1947 superspeed, new Tesco(israeli) blade, Palmolive/Erasmic mix soap and "THE COLONEL"
Tremendous... I have found the brush to be buried with ;)
[attachment=0]

What is the knot width and loft height?

Just seen it quoted on Bullgoose as 23mm and 46mm. Correct for yours?

Just arrived at work this morning after being sent yesterday:

Cella Classica cologne
Arko Commando cream (never heard of it but fancied giving it a go)
10 more GEM SE blades

Wonderful service yet again from Paul at Connaught.

Had a Speick-tacular (shakes head) delivery from the postman about half an ahour ago.

1 bottle of Speick AS
1 Speick Stick
2 tubes of Speick Cream

and

1 Bottle of Old Spice Lime

All from Paul at Connaught. That old spice reminds me of proper old spice.

I went to the Gentlemans Groom Room on the way home today, more out of curiosity than any great desire to make a purchase but I was really wanting to see a few brushes 'in the flesh' to gauge the size an softness of them - reading reviews and looking at photos is all very well but having the chance to do a direct comparison and have a feel was invaluable. I got hands on with lots and some good conversation with the assistant (Ian was downstairs doing a shave at the time) and in the end rather than going away and buying online for a few quid less, I opted to buy a Simpsons Commodore X1. Seems ideal for me just now, not too big, not too soft, not too expensive and having got it home and had a first trial lathering I think it'll do very nicely indeed.

Photos to follow later.

Back
Top Bottom