Acquisitions, 1st October to 31st October 2015

I just swapped and unloved Braveheart head for this bowl containing a puck and a bit of Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia - what a great soap, incredibly easy to lather with good face feel, especially after the shave. The bowl is from TK Maxx rather than Lille in the 1950s, but still looks great in my eyes.

1930 Wilkinson Sword Empire set in...Here it is after 30 mins in the ultrasonic,and the bone dry strop was treated with saddle soap (nice and supple now)...Love this razor!,it is totally 'steampunk' LOL!.

AX2XLpM.jpg

Planning on a strip down,replate,and re-honing the 5 blades...Apparently,it can be done!.And Ill recover the bottom of the box too.May even sand down the box,and stain/varnish it yet.Time will tell.

1930 Wilkinson Sword Empire set in...Here it is after 30 mins in the ultrasonic,and the bone dry strop was treated with saddle soap (nice and supple now)...Love this razor!,it is totally 'steampunk' LOL!.

AX2XLpM.jpg

Planning on a strip down,replate,and re-honing the 5 blades...Apparently,it can be done!.And Ill recover the bottom of the box too.May even sand down the box,and stain/varnish it yet.Time will tell.

Lovely! Yes, the blades can be honed. They're a fiddle. If you take a piece of tape that is a good couple of inches longer than the blade, once folded around the spine you'll have an inch on each side that acts as a handle, of sorts.

The other method is to pull the spine off a GEM blade, take a Leatherman (or pliers) and crack the back corners off the blade. It will then slide in to the very back of the blade holder and by happy coincidence, it'll be at just the right place for the blade hooks to hold it.

I noticed the roller is cracked. While it's not a big deal, when shaving a few days of growth you can sometimes get one or two that are just pulled out. Have fun!

Attars, attars and more attars ... mostly Swiss Arabian: Muhkallat Ghazal, Shamamatul Amber, Rehan Patchouli, Rakaan, Majmoua, Jasmine & Sultan; Surrati: Black Oudh; Hamil: Rose Musk; Haramain: Badar, Hajar, Madinah Rose, Musk, Oudi, Wardia.

I love 'em!

Received a Wilkinson Sword Bonded. It was originally sold in Portugal.

I am still a bit vague on if this or the Gillette Trac II was the first cartridge razor. I believe both came out in 1971 but I've seen different takes on which one came out first.
It might well be that Wilkinson was the first cartridge razor..and the Trac II was the first multi-blade cartridge razor.

in4lf8.jpg

Well the Gillette trench lighter turned up today,that was unexpected!,here's the before's....
W5mOLOJ.jpg

mrLaOay.jpg

wbKdLcK.jpg

And as requested ( @Darkbulb )Here's the after's (along with a few other things I am working on ATM)...

4Pk8EzD.jpg

9ogKlR8.jpg

The scratches that are visible in this pic are gone now,and it lights!,I will replace the wick and wadding though,as neither are original,and the wick is made out of nylon...:eek:
I will replace the wick with an Imco one,and I will use Zippo wadding...
jnRvMEM.jpg

BTW,the inside case is made out of copper,which also cleaned up a treat!,and I also cleaned out the lower case,but forgot the lid...Ill do that all later!.
:)

Last edited:
Well the Gillette trench lighter turned up today,that was unexpected!,here's the before's....
W5mOLOJ.jpg

mrLaOay.jpg

wbKdLcK.jpg

And as requested ( @Darkbulb )Here's the after's (along with a few other things I am working on ATM)...

4Pk8EzD.jpg

9ogKlR8.jpg

The scratches that are visible in this pic are gone now,and it lights!,I will replace the wick and wadding though,as neither are original,and the wick is made out of nylon...:eek:
I will replace the wick with an Imco one,and I will use Zippo wadding...
jnRvMEM.jpg

BTW,the inside case is made out of copper,which also cleaned up a treat!,and I also cleaned out the lower case,but forgot the lid...Ill do that all later!.
:)

When you send it over can you put a little bow on it as well?

When you send it over can you put a little bow on it as well?
Of course!,what colour would you like?,vintage Gillette purple,or vintage Gillette navy blue?,I can do both you know!,I even have a spare basketweave Pocket Edition case,that I can make up a new tin insert for the lighter for,and then reline in velvet, in the above two colour's too if you like...You will need to tell me what you want it all plated in too of course!.....;)

Of course!,what colour would you like?,vintage Gillette purple,or vintage Gillette navy blue?,I can do both you know!,I even have a spare basketweave Pocket Edition case,that I can make up a new tin insert for the lighter for,and then reline in velvet, in the above two colour's too if you like...You need to tell me what you want it all plated in too of course!.....;)

Let's keep it simple and do it all in Rhodium.

Back
Top Bottom