AC SE Razors

I have lost count of the number of AC SE razors: Mongoose, ATT SE, Colonial General, Blackland Vector, Paradigm, ES/Alpha Claymore, Yaqi v3/Excelsior et al. What's your favourite? What has been disappointing?

20211027_224534.jpg

Mongoose
Hawk Aluminium
Yaqi v3/Excelsior
Hawk v3

Three of mine have been BST buys, only the £6.00 Yaqi head has been bought new. I didn't really get a great shave from the Mongoose or Hawk Aluminium, but I shall be revisiting them again.

Colonial General SS and needn't look any further.

Had the Mongoose as well and for me it did not live up at all to the hype around it. I found the chiseld profile uncomfortable as it heavily increases the razor's contact with the skin. So yes Mongoose was my dissapointment.
I have the General and no longer get tempted by other ACs...is that good.

Mongoose works like a dream for me! Got the matte ss version - looking for polished.
ikon el jefe - the one with a bit of blade movement is another one that works like a dream - more aggressive setup but it’s amazing to me!

hawk v2 - was okay - at the moment I did lend it to my friend and he probably will buy it - I might be tempted to go for v3 instead, or search for some other more aggressive AC!

and the infamous Enoch - another very nice SE!

overall I’d say I get on better with SE razors than DE I think - or maybe I just enjoy them more!

on my wish list I got general - whether in ss or brass, Cobra classic and rocnel se-50

I have the ATT X1 Slant and and the latest Claymore Evolution. I did have a Vector before I sold it. Of the three the Vector gave the closest shave but with some occasional nicks and the other two give similar safe shaves and I can't tell the difference. The Vector was too small for me and changing the blades was harder for me than the other two.

Vector!

Previously had a Hawk v.3 and a Yaqi v.1 (the current Yaqi head is on its way).
Nothing disappointing really. The Hawk is gone just because I prefer the unique Vector geometry more.
And the first Yaqi was absolutely fine and shaved great. Again, I just wanted the "real deal" (and in SS; the quality is just on an other level too).
I've ordered a new head just to have a spare in a drawer.

I can't really say which is the best or worst as they all deliver superb shaves with minimum effort and ease.

The original Generals are probably ahead of the pack with their consistency and their 'just get on with the job' stance, and you can add the V2 in there. Against what appears to be a common view, I hate to say it, but the Mongoose is not that far behind in terms of easytolivewithability while giving superb finishes.

There are a few star performers which are easily overlooked or came with a surprisingly brilliant performance, the Occams Enoch and the Yaqi Excalibur being two fine examples. Both have high performance, low cost value.

Ones I struggled with include the Occams Commander (impractical blade loading, huge head) and the ATT SE1's, yet the ATT X slant is an astounding piece of kit up there with the best.

I also struggle with most aluminium SE's, the General included (hold on to it though as I have a full house), sold the Hawk for buttons and gave the alugoose to a good friend.

I would say across the board I favour most of them over a DE and rarely touch a double razor these days.

If it was to come down to just the one? The original General. Stainless or brass? I couldn't care as there is little difference between them except one is shiny.

Just as an edit. The one I couldn't get rid of fast enough was the Ikon SE and now with Mr Scorpio. It was not a razor and just a blood extracting implement.

Last edited:
I can't really say which is the best or worst as they all deliver superb shaves with minimum effort and ease.

The original Generals are probably ahead of the pack with their consistency and their 'just get on with the job' stance, and you can add the V2 in there. Against what appears to be a common view, I hate to say it, but the Mongoose is not that far behind in terms of easytolivewithability while giving superb finishes.

There are a few star performers which are easily overlooked or came with a surprisingly brilliant performance, the Occams Enoch and the Yaqi Excalibur being two fine examples. Both have high performance, low cost value.

Ones I struggled with include the Occams Commander (impractical blade loading, huge head) and the ATT SE1's, yet the ATT X slant is an astounding piece of kit up there with the best.

I also struggle with most aluminium SE's, the General included (hold on to it though as I have a full house), sold the Hawk for buttons and gave the alugoose to a good friend.

I would say across the board I favour most of them over a DE and rarely touch a double razor these days.

If it was to come down to just the one? The original General. Stainless or brass? I couldn't care as there is little difference between them except one is shiny.

Just as an edit. The one I couldn't get rid of fast enough was the Ikon SE and now with Mr Scorpio. It was not a razor and just a blood extracting implement.
The ikon SE (el jefe) is a brilliant shaver - one or two passes needed at most! But definitely not for people that are afraid of blood haha !

I love my AC SE razors. Current stock:

Hiram Commander
Enoch
Hawk V3 (Std & A)
General V1 (Stainless and Aluminum)
General V2
ATT X1
Occam's OREN Nano
Yaqi V3
Alpha Claymore

I never got on with the Vector so sent it to a good home. ATT SE1 models were sold as well. I liked these but they didn't make the cut.

I love my AC SE razors. Current stock:

Hiram Commander
Enoch
Hawk V3 (Std & A)
General V1 (Stainless and Aluminum)
General V2
ATT X1
Occam's OREN Nano
Yaqi V3
Alpha Claymore

I never got on with the Vector so sent it to a good home. ATT SE1 models were sold as well. I liked these but they didn't make the cut.
The Brass General eludes me. The final razor for my collection. I've managed to source everything else except that brass lady. One day!

Only laughing because I have one
Mean Normal People GIF by CBC

I’m fresh in my SE AC journey and can’t offer any comparison feedback but Occam’s razor has been a great introduction.
After seeing it on sale very cheap on a US website I took a punt. It’s in the wilderness in comparison to the popular favourite choices listed here but nevertheless its delivered me superb shaves and I really enjoy using it. It’s the only SE AC I’ve used so far and I’m keen to try a few more.

I got much more interested in SE AC razors after joining TSR to be honest. After reading many positive comments and seeing photos of numerous different SE AC razors around the forum I made a short list of preferred choices to try.
My aim is to keep 2 or 3 SE AC razors in my rotation that work well for me.
The Vector and the Colonial General V2 are two razors I really like the look of and I’d quite like to get one of these next but they’re scarcely available for sale ( new or used ). I’m content to bide my time for a while and see if I can’t pick up a used one but if patience runs out I’ll maybe look to pick up a Hawk V3 (A) or Claymore.
I really enjoy the variety in my shaves so I can’t imagine giving up on DE completely but never say never I guess.

I've got the Vecqi. V3, I think. Stiffer AC blades might work better ATG because it's less prone to chatter. Still evaluating.

The slim Vector design is the only SE which really grabs my attention. Blackland's open comb version just might be my perfect razor... wait... what's that Santa? Jeez you don't have to swear.

Back
Top Bottom