A very weird shave

The mistake was using two new products together - well, one new and one NOS.

I put a 1940 - 50 Gillette 7 O'clock Green into a Feather AS-D1S - so I don't know which caused what - but I can guess! Had this not been my first shave with a blade my father used when I was only up to his knees, I'd have binned it after the first stroke. Tuggy or what!!? But I persevered and things got better and ATG was perfectly comfortable.

From a blade I would have binned, I got the closest shave I've ever had from a Feather - and a slightly sore face to remind me.

I shall have to separate the two and try a new blade. The Old Man used these blades for decades so they can't have been too bad! Could they?

Thanks to Dr Terror for the opportunity to try the blades.

Thank you, Jack - but blunt is blunt. I've since separated the two - got a BBS from the AS-D1S with a Feather blade and a tuggy shave from the NOS 7 O'clock - and another one - in a Muhle razor.

Onwards and upwards - I have some newer NOS Greens to try

It might be that I have the only tungsten coated Feather blade in the world but I've just had a cracking DFBBS on it's third outing - and it's still going strong. I took it out of my AS-D1S (2) and put it in a AS-D2 - and promptly fell off the shorter handle - and had a wonderful shave - some Nanny's and a barbershop brush by Vie Long.

It might be due to tungsten coating but I think what's happened is having learned to maintain a high handle angle throughout the shave. This is a knack I learned with injector razors and @Fergiebilly's expert help and advice. I've cracked Feather razors!! Tomorrow I guess I have to revisit my AS-D1 and see what result I get - fourth outing with a Feather blade!!

It might be that I have the only tungsten coated Feather blade in the world but I've just had a cracking DFBBS on it's third outing - and it's still going strong. I took it out of my AS-D1S (2) and put it in a AS-D2 - and promptly fell off the shorter handle - and had a wonderful shave - some Nanny's and a barbershop brush by Vie Long.

It might be due to tungsten coating but I think what's happened is having learned to maintain a high handle angle throughout the shave. This is a knack I learned with injector razors and @Fergiebilly's expert help and advice. I've cracked Feather razors!! Tomorrow I guess I have to revisit my AS-D1 and see what result I get - fourth outing with a Feather blade!!
expert-bart-simpson-skateboard-commons_zpsrqwuv0hn.jpg

Used a vintage NOS 7 O'clock blade about 20 minutes ago,in the 7 O'clock FBN,hot shower,shampoo pre,out to hot blade and brush,lathered up some Old Spice shave soap,and got down to the 'nitty gritty'...
That really should be 'pully tuggy',because that what I noticed first,they tug a bit!,but they were mowing down 4-5 days growth.
I finished the first pass on one side of the blade,and went for XTG,here is where they excelled!.I managed to get my problem neck area,BBS with just a bit of buffing,and I cant usually do that,so impressed there!,XTG for the rest of the face.
Next,ATG,It was fine for the neck and cheeks,but really pulled on the thicker chin and under nose growth,so I called it a day,cold water splash,Old Spice AS.
All in all,not too bad at all,I can imagine these were popular in the 40's-50's,as you get a very easy,if not smooth,2 pass DFS,with no irritation,if used in the 7 O'clock FBN razor,and dont try to go too close!.

This gets weirder and weirder - and keeps me from trying more NOS Greens. My fourth shave from a single Feather blade - in an As-D1 this time - was not BBS but my best ever shave from this razor and smooth and easy. I've put the blade into a barbershop razor probably by Muhle for it's fifth outing tomorrow. Feather, fifth shave!

I think that should kill it and then onto another NOS Green. However ...

There we go then! Five comfortable shaves from a single Feather DE blade! Some of you may have gone for a sixth but for me, it no longer had that new, whisker slicing feel to it so I binned it - but not before it gave me a very comfortable, very close shave and nicked me Feather-style in a moment's inattention.

New theories about Feather blades abound in my head. Are they designed for a very high handle angle rather than the lower one typically required by western razors? Is this why injector blades last so long?

Back
Top Bottom