A two-handed shave?

I use both, it´s easier for me to get the angels right on the left side of my face with my left hand. When I do atg I only use the right hand though, seems to work better for me, but I´ve got a funny grip when I do my right side atg (more like a Japanese straight shaving technique).

When I shaved with straight and/or Feather AC I swapped hands.

Just made it easier to do the left-hand side of my face (cheeks mainly) with my left hand and vice versa without having to reach across.

There were some bits of the chin that I would do only with my right hand and the 'across the grain' stokes along my jaw were done with opposite hands.

The key is finding what works - this did for me.

I've tried holding the straight in my left hand, but I still can' hold it up to my face.. just feels wrong for now... might get there in the end!

I used to be ambidextrous writing wise when I was a kid. (but dominantly right handed)

Max

No hard and fast rules then, it seems to be a personal approach which is what it's all about I guess. I look forward to aquiring my first straight though I'm sure there's going to be a lot of twisting and turning before commiting blade to skin.

Ambidextrous. Either will do just as fine. Shaving with Japanese razors in keeping with tradition I shave only with right hand.

Western straight I switch when shaving #1 and #6. Everything else is shaved with opposite each time. It's most effective and not as time consuming resulting in awesome shave that leave me clean for 2-2.5 days.

With safety, I employ the same methods with western straights.

Great thread btw!

I've not really found exactly what works for me just yet, but on my face I'm definitely swapping hands, left for left, right for right.

What I have noticed, and I have mentioned this in another post, is that the chap below uses his left hand for the right side of his face and vice versa for the WTG pass.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIM0Coix6Gg[/youtube]

Ian

It does take time, not very long though, to learn and shave with both hands. But I think it´s worth it and I think it´s best to do it from the start, before you get used to shave with one hand. In the beginning you actually can get better results with your weak hand, since you´re most likely more unsecure and light handed with that hand :D BUT, like allways, what´s right for one person could be s%¤#t for another. :lol:

I have been using a DE for about 15 years now and one day soon I will try a straight razor :)
A couple of questions.
Why does he shave his face three times, is that the norm for a straight razor?
Just realized I know the answer to this one :roll: To keep his face lubricated and to catch all of the hairs :oops:
Why does he need four razors can you not just sharpen the one?

Back
Top Bottom