A single pass (wtg) DE option?

I will do a single WTG pass on those occasions when time is tight and i need to "look" shaven and that does the job, but i find it distracting to be rough ATG. For that type of "quick" i dial the Progress down to 1.

Other than that, the more i DE shave, the more i realise that prep time is the biggest factor, rather than the extra time doing a multi-pass shave.

I can save on prep time by washing my face a couple of times with a bar of soap and hot water - does better than any pre-shave product and much quicker.

I know my beard map really well and unless there's some failing with the blade being sorely lacking, a single pass with the grain shave delivering clean and smooth (enough) is something I do most days. I'll only press on to a second pass with/across the grain for asbolute smoothness if I'm really enjoying the shave ... or the blade is lacking and it needs the second pass.

I'd echo @Zorro above and say it's all in the prep. Less is more. Just a simple face wash with bar soap, hot water on the face while you build up a lather and take a minute or two to fit the lather to your face. Slow and steady.

Personally, I don't think the razor matters as I can use to super-mild Star Tech clone or the Wilkie Sticky ... or I could use a yawning blade gap razor like the R41 or the Yaqi SE (with a half blade). Slants, I do think have a minor effect on efficiency. It's the blade that matters and pretty much any that are not on the empirically dull side and those of the empirically sharp side are best suited to regular and milder razors. Aggressive gaps just open the door to in-shave tragedy.

Pop a Gillette Nacet Super Stainless into a Tech and I'll guarentee a better shave in one pass that any adjustable on 10 with an Astra Platium.

Unless it's a very "mild" razor and a very so-so blade (Zaza comes to mind, but I love the packet design, reminiscent of certain tobaccos I used to smoke), I can, with careful preparation and a slow but steady approach, obtain a decent shave in one pass.

However, I have a couple of tricky spots that merit a touch-up, but I can usually persuade myself that they're OK; at least until I find stubble patches at about lunch time.

This is speaking as a daily shaver, which has long been my custom. However, on the odd occasions when I've been obliged to skip a day or three, I can be absolutely confident that, again with good preparation, I'm more or less guaranteed a one-pass perfect finish. On these occasions, I usually reach for a Lab Prep, perhaps a Feather, and use my R41s (2013 and GS), or my stainless Ikon slant (the one where it takes forever to get the blade seated properly).

I know my beard map really well and unless there's some failing with the blade being sorely lacking, a single pass with the grain shave delivering clean and smooth (enough) is something I do most days. I'll only press on to a second pass with/across the grain for asbolute smoothness if I'm really enjoying the shave ... or the blade is lacking and it needs the second pass.

I'd echo @Zorro above and say it's all in the prep. Less is more. Just a simple face wash with bar soap, hot water on the face while you build up a lather and take a minute or two to fit the lather to your face. Slow and steady.

Personally, I don't think the razor matters as I can use to super-mild Star Tech clone or the Wilkie Sticky ... or I could use a yawning blade gap razor like the R41 or the Yaqi SE (with a half blade). Slants, I do think have a minor effect on efficiency. It's the blade that matters and pretty much any that are not on the empirically dull side and those of the empirically sharp side are best suited to regular and milder razors. Aggressive gaps just open the door to in-shave tragedy.

Pop a Gillette Nacet Super Stainless into a Tech and I'll guarentee a better shave in one pass that any adjustable on 10 with an Astra Platium.

As I'm mainly working from home, I take a very similar approach:

Bar soap and hot water for prep - Friendly Soap Tea Tree & Turmeric works very well for me
Medium aggressive razor - GC .84SB, CG L2 SB, Era L4 SB etc
Medium to Sharp Blade - Anything stainless from Gillette St P and most NOS

One pass, plus touch-ups and job's a good 'un

Personally, I am quite happy with a 2 pass shave with a bit of buffing. This gives me a BBS finish with any of my current razors. I just don't think a 1 pass is possible because of how beards grow in various directions etc. Unless the persons beard is fine as opposed to coarse. Now a single pass shave is probably fine for work but to get a razor that effective would be a very delicate shaving operation...one false move...
Besides, I like shaving and taking my time as, I would imagine, most of us do.

Here the lowest set of Merkur Futur ...
Qp8hNiA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom