A Shaving Session at Truefitt & Hill!

My colleagues kindly bought me a 'Cut Throat Razor Training Session' with Truefiit & Hill, which I had earlier today.

[attachment=1]
The premises are elegant and old-world. I was surprised to see several lady members of staff, who, I learned, shave as well as cut hair.

My mentor and barber for the day was Russell - a charming and witty man of some 20 years barbering experience.

The training session itself took about half an hour. It was very hands-on, with plenty of physical demonstration of techniques, conducted using an unloaded 'shavette' type razor. One tip which I found invaluable, and which had never occurred to me, was to wipe the razor during a shave on a towel draped over my left shoulder (I am right handed), rather than wiping on a cloth on my washstand, or whatever. I can see this working very well in practice.

[attachment=0]

Then a shave from Russell:

Hot Towel (prepared in a steamer)
Liberal application of Truefitt & Hill Shave Oil (I only use a few drops at home, and Russell confessed that he himself only used a small amount personally but, as this was the salon, he wasn't paying for it, so he liked to splash out on the oil!).
Face lathering of Truefitt & Hill Almond Shaving Cream, applied with a best badger beehive brush - I couldn't establish the brand.
Two pass shave with a shavette razor, followed by 'touch-ups'.
Second Hot Towel.
Application of Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Aftershave Balm.

I was very pleased that there was no 'finishing-off' with a Mach III, or similar. Interestingly, Russell does not advocate applying aftershave, saying that it can inflame the skin. Should you really wish to use fragrance, he recommended masking the shaven area with a towel, then applying the lotion to surrounding areas, rather than directly to the face.

All in all, an excellent shave, and a great experience all round! Especially as I didn't pay for it myself.
Thanks to all my friends at work!

Attachments

• Truefitt Sign.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 216
  • Truefitt & Hill 2.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 216
Nice! I use a sponge, sitting at the washstand (you get the blade away from the hard surface). But it seems easier though to wipe it off like he suggested and the angle of the blade would be more "right" ... Nice gift!

spandexcodpiece said:
factormax said:
Tried the 'towel technique' this morning - works a treat!
What a treat that was fm, but you did not say why! Was it your birthday? :)

Yes - it was my birthday in January. Only just got round to using it on Friday! Going to angle for a haircut at Truefitt on my next birthday! :lol:

Sounds very nice. Is it normal for these barbershops to use shavettes, as opposed to 'proper' straight shaving? Do Trumper's do the same?

I'm in London next month and I thought I'd treat myself to a fancy shave.

NatJag said:
Are you now an experienced straight shaver? Did you get any hands on use other than an unloaded shavette?

Experienced straight shaver? - Well, I thought I was, but certainly learned plenty that day. The focus was very much on the way the beard grows on my own particular face - how to avoid irritation, and get closer on problem areas. No actual straight razors were in evidence at all. Just the shavette thing. Which I think was very practical - it meant you could practice new manouevers, and talk without cutting yourself to pieces.

Chibouk said:
Sounds very nice. Is it normal for these barbershops to use shavettes, as opposed to 'proper' straight shaving? Do Trumper's do the same?

I do believe it is, though I couldn't say about Trumper's. My main concern was that the shave might have been 'finished off' using a Mach III. This didn't happen, I'm glad to say.

Back
Top Bottom