A Review of the Supply SE for People New to Safety Razors

njh

Having used cartridge razors for thirty years, I am happy with the results and stick with the Wilkinson Sword Quattro and its three blade earlier model. I have soft facial hair and I find that the blades last a long time, and are better on their second use. Perhaps I am shaving incorrectly, as I find a new blade makes minor grazes that take a while to stop bleeding. Despite being satisfied, I wanted a single blade razor and tried the Supply SE (with its own blade option). The reviews I read on the SE said that it was idiot proof and the closest thing to using a cartridge razor, allowing a smooth shave, using a single blade, less waste and better for your skin. This is the reality for me:

When experienced safety razor users say a razor is easy to use, what they really mean to say is that all safety razors require the user to shave carefully and if you do not then you will get a bad shave and cut yourself many times. In contrast, the village idiot can use a cartridge razor and not cut themselves. The Supply SE is only idiot proof when compared to many other safety razors, but still requires care. So, I learnt that lesson. Secondly, I learnt that blade feel can be a good thing. Initially, I assumed that nobody wants to feel the blade and the SE is described by many has having little blade feel. I proceeded to apply more pressure than required, as I could not feel the razor working, thereby cutting myself, albeit only modest grazes; so it is nearly idiot proof. I have since learned to shave by applying less pressure and the shave is better. Finally, I quite like passing the razor over my face twice, whereas many seem to pass over three times (with the grain, against it and then sideways). The resulting shave with two passes is not as close as a cartridge razor, but it is pretty close and I find this quite sufficient (sometimes I still go for the smoother cartridge razor option). Overall, the safety razor is not the same experience as a cartridge razor and people moving from one to the other may find their initial experience hard work. Having persisted, I am enjoying the new experience. I would recommend the SE for someone trying a safety razor for the first time and also for anyone wanting a daily shave that is fairly stress free. I wonder if some might find the experience tame compared to more traditional DE razors, but as I have not tried a DE yet it is hard to be sure. I am no way near finding the Supply SE tame - I still miss an annoying part of the jaw line, just on the right side, and I suspect that this is all about experience rather than blaming the workman's tools. My plan is to eventually try the Supply Pro and also the OneBlade Genesis, though I suspect the benefit might prove modest compared to the much higher price of the latter, as well as the limitation of only using one brand of premium blade. I shall keep people informed.

To someone new to DE or at least more traditional shaving, you should consider the Henson Mild SE. Investigate it online but it is as ‘idiot proof’ a DE option as I imagine one could buy. Investigate it online and do imagine yourself using it with great success as I firmly believe you could achieve this.

I've had a couple versions of this razor and found it to be very good indeed, the only small downside for me was the weight of the razor, just a little heavy for me but I'm sure this will not be an issue for many of you.
It is certainly very well made and comes with a complete set of three head pieces for different levels of shave that are easily fitted.
The added benefits of using stiffer single edge blades I think are well known amongst us single edge razor users and in practice do give a superior shave .
I have no affiliation with this company so you can be assured that these are my views on the Supply single edge razor.

Paul.

To someone new to DE or at least more traditional shaving, you should consider the Henson Mild SE. Investigate it online but it is as ‘idiot proof’ a DE option as I imagine one could buy. Investigate it online and do imagine yourself using it with great success as I firmly believe you could achieve this.
Yes, I fancied the non-mild version - hard to tell which is a better choice for a close shave.

I've had a couple versions of this razor and found it to be very good indeed, the only small downside for me was the weight of the razor, just a little heavy for me but I'm sure this will not be an issue for many of you.
It is certainly very well made and comes with a complete set of three head pieces for different levels of shave that are easily fitted.
The added benefits of using stiffer single edge blades I think are well known amongst us single edge razor users and in practice do give a superior shave .
I have no affiliation with this company so you can be assured that these are my views on the Supply single edge razor.

Paul.
I did not realise that the single edge blade was thicker, until you just pointed it out; nor did I realise this would make for a better shave.

I like the Supply SE. I picked my V1 up from the BST here in 2019 and it's still in my den. It always delivers a good shave.
I was attracted to the V2 made out of a higher quality of steel, mostly because of an appreciation of quality craftmanship, even if the resulting shave is not different. Changing plates sounds a bit of a palaver. The aesthetics were supremely stylish, more than the SE. I saw one for sale a while ago on the Connaught web site, but they do not seem to come up often.

Back
Top Bottom