A return to form!

Have recently noticed that my shaves were more irritating and my skin was flaring up with redness more than it used to. I had put it down to technique, or simply my skin being seasonally more sensitive.

However, it did occur to me i'd been using boots blades for a while (believed to be personnas). So today I switched back to my proper personna platinums. BOOM the smooth shave was back. No irritation, best shave I've had in months.

Time to put the boots blades to rest. Seems for me, the platinums really are the go-to blade.

Todays kit:

T&H sandalwood Shaving Cream
EJ Loxley Razor (EJ / Muhle head)
Personna Platinum Blade
NF Tubby 1
T&H Sandalwood ASB

Simple north to south for pass 1, south to north for pass two, and against the grain for a cleanup on pass 3. Cold water splash to finish and some T&H balm.

My face couldn't be happier :)

I call these red personna:

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9615667

which I think are also these:

http://connaughtshaving.com/redpersonna.html

Is this the blade you refer to as Personna Platinum?

I suppose the proper title is Personna Platinum Chrome - not sure where the "red personna" came from, the wrapper I guess.

yep those are the beasties i'm talking about.. in the EJ head, these are just the perfect recipe of smooth and sharp.

oh and quick edit, because i realise its a tubby 1 i have, not a 2

I agree with you on the Personna in the EJ, I've tried quite a few blades now and nothing shaves like a Personna Platinum in my EJ, it's going to be my blade of choice I think. I still only get 2 shaves out of them but they are not too expensive anyway. It still amazes me that blades are so different.

same blades geezer.. when you open up the blue fronted packs, its the same red wrappers inside. The blades are also marked identically. The reds / Platinums etc, are all the same thing.

Tackleberry. I get 3 solid shaves usually out of a personna before moving on. But as I only shave maybe twice a week, a pack lasts almost a couple of months. They certainly aren't the cheapest blades, you can get supermax or shark stainless for a whole lot less, but then they are not as pricey as feathers, or as hard to come by as Iridiums.

Another blade I like is the Gillette superthin. But I find that although sharper and a tad closer shaving, that it's a tad more aggressive and my skin pays a little for it. But certainly its close enough that i would live with them if i had to.

I have to shave everyday so they don't last long for me. I have quite a few supermax and some sharks but they don't perform the same, I've been using them up by putting them in my 73 Tech and using that razor for the last pass/touchups after my EJ. That way I seem to get maybe one more shave out of the Personna.

i find the gillettes to be close enough, but longer lasting. Might be worth you trying some superthins and seeing how you get on. They are certainly a large step up from the sharks and supermax blades.

if you havent tried any superthins before, drop me a PM and i'll send you a few.

I haven't tried the superthins yet, I've tried to order some on Connaught's site but it doesn't look like they have any at the moment.
It's nice of you to offer to send a few, would you like some jewels or supermax I have PLENTY!!

The person EJ combination is is very forgiving, I find they work well in a number of razors but the EJ / Personna one seems to be the one I reach for more than any other.

I have 20 Israeli Personnas to use up, but I tend to use other blades as well for a rotation. That way, I hope to avoid irritation. I did use Israeli Personnas last year and they were okay, but I want to get some 'reds' at some point.

Tackleberry said:
I haven't tried the superthins yet, I've tried to order some on Connaught's site but it doesn't look like they have any at the moment.
It's nice of you to offer to send a few, would you like some jewels or supermax I have PLENTY!!

Superthins are one of my favourites as well. Like the Gillette 365, the Superthins may not be around much.

Back
Top Bottom