A question for adjustable users

Slim WTG and XTG on 5 then generally down to 1 for touch up and ATG on face

Mergress I find quite aggressive so 2.5 WTG and XTG then 1.5 touch ups.

That said I use super thins or 7 o'clock yellows.

Hiya,

Years ago I started my DE journey using a super adjustable. After some trial and error I found the right setting and kept it there. Same thing with the slim that I used steadily after trying one. Heh, the slim took care of the super and it was put away, although the perfect # setting was the same on both. After that I tried a fatboy and put the slim away to never be used again. Same # on the fatboy though.

I am in the 'set em and forget em' group. No reason to screw around with all around perfection. Sure, I might get a little closer shave if I bumped the setting up a few notches on the AGT pass, but the comfort level would suffer a bit. Even going WTG I would still feel the blade on my face too much for my liking.

Martin

antdad said:
Does the "mowing the lawn" analogy apply here?

You wouldn't set the mower on its shortest (grass) setting only to then set on a longer setting for another pass. Just a thought.

I like the theory behind that. As such last night I did a three pass shave with the Fatboy, and went from 3 to 5 to 6 for the final pass.... with a brand new 7 O'clock yellow I had a very nice close shave.

lagaffe said:
I've discovered that I get a great shave with a high initial setting (up to the max on the Slim or Fatboy) for WTG/XTG, then I dial down to a 3 for ATG. Done with a Feather, I get a cracking shave.

Futur - 6 then 2.5 or 3.

I've been messing about with setting, just trying out different settings for different passes.

I would raise an eyebrow at those who dial their adjustable up to the max, but girded my loins and gave it a go. I was pleasantly surprised at how close a shave one WTG pass gave me on my face. However it was a little too much for the sensitive neck area and some irritation ensued. So on the neck area I just stick to the tried and tested two WTG passes (South to North on me) and leave it at that.

On my face I got the best result this morning using a 5 setting (Merkur Futur) and going WTG on my face, Dialled down to 2 for the WTG on my neck.
Rinse, re-lather and went XTG on my face (still on 2) and another WTG on the neck. The result was as smooth as if I had done a third ATG pass. Babies bum smooth in fact, not bad for a two pass shave.

Five years into this DE lark and I'm still learning.

Back
Top Bottom