A question for adjustable users

Do you dial up or down during a shave?

I use a Merkur Futur most times. Since I started daily shaving I dialled down a couple of notches as I find it milder on my skin. And a sharp blade on a less aggressive razor gives me a closer shave.
On that theory, if shaving a few days growth, I would say that one should use a more aggressive setting on the first pass to mow through the long hairs then dial down for finishing passes.

However I tend not to change the setting during a shave (messing with variables and all that). If I haven't shaved for a day or two I'll maybe dial up, but the setting largely remains the same (2 or 3 or in between).

It's no big deal, just wondering how others do it. I'm guessing that with most things concerning our hobby no two answers will be the same.

My only adjustable is a Fatboy, and I generally dial it down, starting at say 5 and dialling it down to 2 or 3 for the final tidy up pass. Having said that I've given thought to clearing the majority of the stubble on a lower setting, and winding it up to a more aggressive setting for the tidy up pass to get a closer final shave.

I don't know :? Like you say, there's no right or wrong really!

I have a Futur, and the setting is dicatated by what blade I am using. 3 with a Swede, a bit less with an Iridium or Feather. I have tried altering settings during the shave, but did not notice any real advantage.

Ian

My first pass is always at a low setting (~2.5 on my Progress w/Derby blade). If I have a thick, multi-day growth I'll re-shave the first pass at a 3. Successive passes are usually at 3-3.5. Touch-ups if necessary are done back down on 2.5

I've discovered that I get a great shave with a high initial setting (up to the max on the Slim or Fatboy) for WTG/XTG, then I dial down to a 3 for ATG. Done with a Feather, I get a cracking shave.

Futur - 6 then 2.5 or 3.

Does the "mowing the lawn" analogy apply here?

You wouldn't set the mower on its shortest (grass) setting only to then set on a longer setting for another pass. Just a thought.

antdad said:
Does the "mowing the lawn" analogy apply here?

You wouldn't set the mower on its shortest (grass) setting only to then set on a longer setting for another pass. Just a thought.

Some people go right in there with the shortest cut first and then end up with lots of brown/dead patches in their lawn, which could analogous to nicks and cuts and irritation.

I'll just repeat advice that has served me well concerning adjustable's.

Find the ONE setting that gives you a DFS or adequate shave, if you want some thing closer dial around that setting so for example.
When I use my fatboy it's set on seven most of the time, if I'm in the mood for closer then I go for a pass on 6 then 8 and then 3/4 for touch up.

That's for a noticeable difference, moving one setting between passes didn't really do it for me. Low setting for touch up to avoid irritation.

for me it's always been dial down for ATG\XTG

Gillette Adjustables = WTG @ 5
XTG\ATG @ 3

Progress = WTG @ 3-4
XTG\ATG @ 2-3

first 2 passes WTG and 1 pass XTG\ATG

Back
Top Bottom