A question about the fatboy gillette TTO 'locking' mechanis

Hi, I've very recently (3 shaves ago actually) acquired a really nice Fat Boy which has given me nothing but DFS shaves. I'm very impressed with it, and compared to my much more aggressice Merkur 38C, this Fat Boy is like a little sports car. I usually shave on setting 3 or 4, and only had one tiny nick on my neck so far (down to me rushing it, no fault of the razor).

Anyway, I've noticed that whilst in use, and whilst giving it a 'shake' to dry after the shave, that the TTO knob at the end seems to want to 'undo' itself, only by a few degrees, and even though the blade is still held in tight, the TTO knob isn't as tight as I'd think it should be.

It closes the butterfly doors fine, and then I get the further 'quarter turn' of tightening. However, it seems to want to 'untighten' - only a few degrees mind.

Is this normal? How tight should the TTO knob be with a blade inserted?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid that my lovely Gillette isn't working as it should?

(It's a 4th quarter 1958 (D4 code) by the way, and the bottom of the TTO knob has the 2 indents so if required I could dismantle it.)

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Impster

My FB does the 1/4 turn and does not move. Could it be how you are holding it?, when you maneuver angle round are you inadvertently twisting it? I do not think it is anything to worry about unless the solo doors come a little loose. You can actually loosen some razors off and it makes them slightly more aggressive, less of a bend on the blade but that extra 1/4 turn is not a worry....I think.

"Does "wanting to undo" mean it is actually undoing?"

No, not quite. It's difficult to explain. It's almost as if, once turned that final quarter turn, that the TTO knob has a few degrees of 'looseness'. I don't think it will actually 'undo', it's just that it gives the impression of 'looseness', that's all. I'd like the TTO knob to be a bit 'tighter' when locked, if you know what I mean.

Impster

I really wouldn't worry about it. That last quarter turn locks the mechanism in place, as long as it remains under tension despite the TTO knob moving a little you should be fine.

i know what your talking about

i imagine it to be like taking it over the lobe of a cam, it's tight but that little extra 1\4 turn keeps the handle away from the cam top

that make any sense :?
it sounds right in my head but i've got pictures you can't see :lol:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html</a><!-- m -->

I'd first run it through a few cycles of an ultrasonic cleaner, that might shift some internal crud.

antdad said:
http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html

I'd first run it through a few cycles of an ultrasonic cleaner, that might shift some internal crud.

Will do, probably will hold off dismantling it and give it another clean.

hando said:
i know what your talking about

i imagine it to be like taking it over the lobe of a cam, it's tight but that little extra 1\4 turn keeps the handle away from the cam top

that make any sense :?
it sounds right in my head but i've got pictures you can't see :lol:

that's it - spot on (I think?) I've since got home and had a look at it, and I think I'm just finding faults where there aren't any faults. There's no way it could 'undo' itself to the point where the blades come loose.

Oh well, that's the cynic in me looking for a problem, even when there isn't one.

Right, the collection now consists of the original Merkur 38C that got me into this DE lark, a Rolls Razor which I need to get properly honed, and this amazing fat boy razor.

Next - who wants to sell me a Slim Adjustable to try???????

impster said:
Next - who wants to sell me a Slim Adjustable to try???????
You're just a few days late, I sold my "second" one to Tazzbaby just last week.
I'm sure someone here should have one around. If not, let me know, I might be persuaded to let my last one go.

Cheers,

Max

antdad said:
http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html

Thats a great guide! I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try it...

Ok SFQ time, does dave from Safetyrazors do all that when he replates for £15?

Ok - job done!

Easier than I thought. got some very fine thin tipped pliers to unscrew the cap, and took it apart to reveal the spring, and to release the rod. Had a little soap scum on there, cleaned it all up, and added some oil that I got with my old braun electric shaver to the contact parts.

Put it all back together, and it seems better.

Also noticed that if you put the head back in at 180 degrees to what it should be, the blade seems a tad miss-aligned when you use it.

So, if you're gonna do this, bear in mind there are 2 ways to put the head back in, and if you have alignment issues, it may be worth turning the head 180 degrees within the handle.

Going for a shave now.

Still on the lookout for a slim adjustable guys! Let me know what you've got. As long as it's fairly clean looking, and functions as it should I'm interested.

Thanks!

Impster

Back
Top Bottom