A Qestion About Balm

Intially ASBs puzzled me - in the sphere of handmade cosmetics/toiletries a balm is made with oils, butters and waxes and sets in a pot/jar to a soft or firm consistency depending on the ingredients; howver I gather that an ASB can be an emulsified lotion but can also be glycerine or oil based - is that correct?

I'm puzzled about the difference between an ASB and a moisturising lotion - can someone please explain?

The reason why I'm asking is that when I've arrived at a suitable shaving soap formulation I'll be looking at other products in order to make fragrance matched sets - but not colgnes etc. based on alcohol.

That's about right HM :D

I use Nivea or Mennen ASB which is quite cheap/cheerful, love the stuff :D
If I have not got any on hand, I mix AS and a moisturiser in the palm of my hand, works well!

The moisturiser I use is Dexeril/Dexeryl, great stuff.

Max

My balms are witch hazel and aloe vera plus the scent, to close the pores and tone the skin. The splash carries the same scent but a stronger version which is based in perfumers alcohol. That's the way I put the sets together so the two items do essentially different jobs, but other vendors don't see it that way, and often a balm is nothing more than a moisturiser.

Back
Top Bottom