A northerner in the south…

Hi all,

Been a bit of a lurker over the last couple of days, so I thought that I better say "hi". I've read and digested as much info as I could from this site, and – having done this – I took the plunge and ordered an EJ De89, some C&E Nomad, Arko and I have a brush (Vulfix 404) and stand on order (again, thanks for the intel that I gleaned from you all on where and what to order). I then bobbed into my local chemists and snaffled some Palmolive and Ingram shaving creams, and some Wilkinson Classic blades (a panic buy, because I'm seeing that there's not much love for the Derby blades that inevitably turned up with the razor) – I'd actually just nipped in to grab a cheap brush because mine hasn't turned up yet and I was getting impatient… Bit of a worrying sign, that.

I'm hoping to purchase another brush from Fido (who lives relatively local to me and I have already contacted). Obviously I'm learning and a little wet behind the ears.

However, I managed to have my first proper shave this evening (having spent nearly twenty years with various cartridge shaves, and even an abortive attempt with an electric). WIth nought but a couple of nicks around my Adam's apple, I now wish I had started DE shaving a long, long time ago. I have never really enjoyed shaving to any degree and always found it a chore – now I see where I have been going wrong all these years.

So, once again, thanks for the great info – you have opened my eyes to something pretty special.

Cheers,

Lipsy

Allright mucker

Plenty good advice here, but you're on to a good start already. You will hear this plenty, but, get a blade sampler, try them one at a time for a few shaves and find out what works for you.

Regards Russell

Lipsy said:
Thanks fella,

I have this: http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html ready and waiting.

Looking at some what's written on this 'ere forum, I am guessing (and I know that there's no right and wrong answer) that the one to go for is the 'Popular' set…

Simon
Welcome Lipsy!

About the derbys, I personally haven't tried them (I do have some, just haven't had time yet), but then again I get on well Merkur blades, and very few do.
Try the derbys without apprehension, you might find that they work work you.. or not. Go back to them in a few months. (after the learning curve)

We all have a different face, find the combo that works is the fun part of the whole adventure :D

Welcome and feel free to ask or banter! If you want some blades, I could PIF you some, just send me your postal adress through PM.

FB.

Hi and welcome, from a native Southerner. There are a few of us on here, and it's tempting to arrange a get-together at some point. Fido's buying, obviously.

Don't dismiss Derby blades. I'm happy to use them, and have just bought some more. It sounds as if you've made a good start, and there's always plenty of help and advice here. The "Search" function is your friend, but don't be afraid to ask questions.

Regards

Ian

Welcome Lipsy, you've totally given in to the dark side. Easy wasn't it?

Maker sure its the 404 mix for less than a tenner and not the other 404. Try the Derby's too they might be fine for you.

Fido said:
Always happy to host a New Forest meet for brush and bell inspections! All are assured a loud welcome.

Welcome Lipsy.

I'd be up for a meet, once I'm allowed to drive again. I'm sure that we could find an almost deserted pub in the New Forest that would be grateful for the business.

Regards

Ian

Thanks for all your kind words and welcomes. My 404 mix arrived this morning. I almost wish had been a little more patient and waited, but at least I a) know what a terrible brush is like, and b) have something new to play with for my next shave. All good, then.

I am also keen to try out some different blades, though I think that I'm going to need a few more tries with the Derbys in order to improve my technique. Suitably impressed this morning – I was half expecting to have a buzzard's neck, but it seems to have held up well so far.

Looking forward to the journey. It seems that I will be in good company.

Thanks,

Lipsy

Back
Top Bottom