A Humble Hello!

Hello guys, my name is Ben! :)
I've been following the forums for a while, but didn't quite get the courage to set-up my account and introduce myself.
Excuse the beard! :p I've been wearing it for almost two years, but I think I finally outgrew it. I used to shave it all off once every year, but I'm finally ready to say goodbye to it for good and embrace the "clean" look.

I was thinking of starting with the "Mid Century - Double-edge shaving kit". From what I understand, it's a great newbie shaving kit.
What do you guys think?

Hello guys, my name is Ben! :)
I've been following the forums for a while, but didn't quite get the courage to set-up my account and introduce myself.
Excuse the beard! :p I've been wearing it for almost two years, but I think I finally outgrew it. I used to shave it all off once every year, but I'm finally ready to say goodbye to it for good and embrace the "clean" look.

I was thinking of starting with the "Mid Century - Double-edge shaving kit". From what I understand, it's a great newbie shaving kit.
What do you guys think?
Hello and welcome to TSR Ben, I'm sure you will get all the help and advice you need from us all here. Relax and enjoy :)

Greetings Ben!

I think the guys here are nice and supportive, at least no one has insulted me much (yet).

I started earlier this year with this kit: http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/de-safety-razor-shaving-starter-kit-sandalwood

Gives you all that you need, only issue is that the brush needs "breaking in", but after a week or two, it'll be how its supposed to be (I think). There's a good range from Shave Lounge, their online chat is useful too! There was a money off if you mention the shaving room forum (ask them about it on their online chat - that's how I got the code myself).

One other thing about the kit I mentioned is that it comes with a range of blades, so you can see the effect of them straight off the bat... (It comes with blade set one, there's also a blade set two from shave lounge, which I plan to get when I've finished the first batch).

Oh, forgot to add, make sure you pay attention on lathering, that's usually the hardest bit to get right.

Hi Ben and welcome to the forum. The Shave Lounge kits look good and the EJ89 razor is well liked. The boar brush will need a good 3 minute pre-soak before each use but it should break in nicely after a month of shaves. It is a better kit I think than the one you were suggesting.

Greetings Ben!

I think the guys here are nice and supportive, at least no one has insulted me much (yet).

I started earlier this year with this kit: http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/de-safety-razor-shaving-starter-kit-sandalwood

Gives you all that you need, only issue is that the brush needs "breaking in", but after a week or two, it'll be how its supposed to be (I think). There's a good range from Shave Lounge, their online chat is useful too! There was a money off if you mention the shaving room forum (ask them about it on their online chat - that's how I got the code myself).

One other thing about the kit I mentioned is that it comes with a range of blades, so you can see the effect of them straight off the bat... (It comes with blade set one, there's also a blade set two from shave lounge, which I plan to get when I've finished the first batch).

Oh, forgot to add, make sure you pay attention on lathering, that's usually the hardest bit to get right.

Indeed Puffafish! What a warm welcome, thank you :) Also thank you for the discount tip!
Thank you for all the helpful advice. I can see that Shave Lounge is well-liked here. There are also a handful of blades in the pack that I can test, which is awesome. I wasn't quite sure how I am supposed to use the alum sticks, but I read a few guides on the forums and they seem very useful for sorting out odd nicks during my first attempts with the blade.

Another question: I was thinking of making my own home-made moisturizer with shea butter and coconut oil. Do you have any experience with hand made soaps/lotions? Thanks again.

Hello Ben,
Welcome to TSR.
I saw this really well thought out DE starter kit from Shave Lounge yesterday,
here is the link (& a bargain IMO)
http://www.shavelounge.co.uk/brand/shave-lounge

You won't go wrong with that, quality items, the brush will need some breaking in but, that's all part of the fun. Otherwise, everything you need.

Thanks for the tips of JayGee,
I think I'm going to start with the the Sensitive skin pack. Reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Indeed Puffafish! What a warm welcome, thank you :) Also thank you for the discount tip!
Thank you for all the helpful advice. I can see that Shave Lounge is well-liked here. There are also a handful of blades in the pack that I can test, which is awesome. I wasn't quite sure how I am supposed to use the alum sticks, but I read a few guides on the forums and they seem very useful for sorting out odd nicks during my first attempts with the blade.

Another question: I was thinking of making my own home-made moisturizer with shea butter and coconut oil. Do you have any experience with hand made soaps/lotions? Thanks again.
Hi Ben, I make my own moisturiser from 50% raw coconut oil and 50% lanolin ( for the colder months ) and 75% raw coconut oil with 25% lanolin for the warmer months, needing only a very small amount to do the job but your mixture would work just as well ( if not better) :)

Back
Top Bottom