A 7/8" (or wider): a good idea, or just machismo?

I use a 6/8" but feel unaccountably drawn to get something larger when ogling razor sites. Are there any advantages, other than for showing off (which I like to do too)?

When I had firearms training on outdoor ranges many years ago as a young volunteer Officer Cadet the sergeant instructors got more twitchy the shorter the barrel, and most nervous of all with 9mm pistols. The reason I think was that the shorter the barrel the easier is to turn it away from the direction of the target and let off a round accidentally in the wrong direction, such as towards the instructor or a fellow cadet.

Using the same logic, the narrower the blade the easier it should be to twist it, get angle wrong and cut oneself. The wider razor, although more lethal looking, should be easier to keep at the right angle. Does this argument hold?

Had a few 7/8" and didn't enjoy them. In fact I think 4/8" are greatly underappreciated in shaving circles, their precision is impossible to match with a meat cleaver.
Oh come come, an 8/8 razor can hardly be discribed as a meat cleaver J.
A meat cleaver is at least 8 times larger and wouldn't be hollow ground! :)

Paul.

I have several between 13/16 and 8/8 my prefered size is 7/8 I learned to shave with a 7/8 Herder I don't own anything under 5/8, I like that you can hold more lather on it but ultimatly it is all on your honing skills a good honend blade, size is almost not a issue, the grind is more important for me, a wedge or a full hollow is for me a difference (honing and shaving)

As the Boys Have Mentioned..There are Many Factors that Can Influence a Razors Feeling & Handling Characteristics..Grinds/Size/Weight Etc..Some Big Full Hollow Grinds are Quite Heavy Weighted/Choppers.. Some More Thinly Ground & Lighter..Some Solingen 6/8th are Actually Far Bigger..Generious Sized etc..Some 6/8th are Just about Bang on Size..Etc, Etc.. :cool:

But..A 5/8th or 6/8th is Probably about Right for Most to Learn on..But..No Harm in Getting a Bigger Blade..As..I Said a Lot of Solingen 6/8th I Own are Very Generious Sized..I Love Em..You Will Find Out what Works for You..Personal Judgment of Taste Comes into it as Well.. :rolleyes:

I Used a Generious Sized 208 Gold Dollar for the Foundation of My SR Shaving Learning..Great Shavers..As Far as Firearms Go..I Would Forget the Firearm Analogy..:eek:

I Am a Former Royal Marine Commando & Used Many Firearms..Worldwide Firearms.In War as Well..And I Can Tell Ya..I Refused to Go Down a Live Fire Range with a Crap Hat Army Senior NCO Pongo because his Weapon Handling Skills were that Bad. Doesn't Surprise Me with What Ya Saw My Friend...We Hated Crap Hat,,Crap Solders ..Thats GI-Rene Talk ..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But..That Said..Like Some Weapons Including Swords & Knifes..Some Razors are More Maneuverable than Others..I Generally Prefer Bigger Blades..But I Also Enjoy 11/16th or 5/8th..Depending on Mood or a Change of Pace....But thats Me Talkin..:cool:

Shave On..(y)

Billy

Last edited:
As the Boys Have Mentioned..There are Many Factors that Can Influence a Razors Feeling & Handling Characteristics..Grinds/Size/Weight Etc..Some Big Full Hollow Grinds are Quite Heavy Weighted/Choppers.. Some More Thinly Ground & Lighter..Some Solingen 6/8th are Actually Far Bigger..Generious Sized etc..Some 6/8th are Just about Bang on Size..Etc, Etc.. :cool:

But..A 5/8th or 6/8th is Probably about Right for Most to Learn on..But..No Harm in Getting a Bigger Blade..As..I Said a Lot of Solingen 6/8th I Own are Very Generious Sized..I Love Em..You Will Find Out what Works for You..Personal Judgment of Taste Comes into it as Well.. :rolleyes:

I Used a Generious Sized 208 Gold Dollar for the Foundation of My SR Shaving Learning..Great Shavers..As Far as Firearms Go..I Would Forget the Firearm Analogy..:eek:

I Am a Former Royal Marine Commando & Used Many Firearms..Worldwide Firearms.In War as Well..And I Can Tell Ya..I Refused to Go Down a Live Fire Range with a Crap Hat Army Senior NCO Pongo because his Weapon Handling Skills were that Bad. Doesn't Surprise Me with What Ya Saw My Friend...We Hated Crap Hat,,Crap Solders ..Thats GI-Rene Talk ..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But..That Said..Like Some Weapons Including Swords & Knifes..Some Razors are More Maneuverable than Others..I Generally Prefer Bigger Blades..But I Also Enjoy 11/16th or 5/8th..Depending on Mood or a Change of Pace....But thats Me Talkin..:cool:

Shave On..(y)

Billy
Ha, we called them C##t caps! :)

Paul.

Ha, we called them C##t caps! :)

Paul.
Aye..Here is an Interesting Wee Thread on the Matter..I Just Found it. (y)

Billy

Aye..Here is an Interesting Wee Thread on the Matter..I Just Found it. (y)

Billy
Interesting, I was referring to the DPM Caps we were issued with in Basic Training before we passed out and were then issued with our Berets. :)

Paul.

My experience with firearms was as an officer cadet of the Cambridge University OTC. We were an odd bunch - some were serious army types going through university on sponsorships but most of us were just doing it for a lark so our instructors were right to be cautious. The adjutant was a captain in the Irish Guards and so laid back as to be practically horizontal but the sergeant looking after our wing (the sappers) was a para and most impressive.

Back
Top Bottom