5 things, that's it.

All I need to get a fantastic shave these days. MWF Soap, A decent Synthetic Brush, The Leaf Razor, The Twig Razor, A blade. After years of buying this and that, spending a bloody fortune, selling them all, buying them all again, selling them all again. I have realised that I can have a drama free perfectly acceptable shave with just these. I know it isn't for everyone, Some love to have a collection of fantastic Razors, Soaps, Brushes and all the paraphanailia that goes with a great shave and I hope you all really enjoy collecting and shaving but I have got there, I've never been happier.

All I need to get a fantastic shave these days. MWF Soap, A decent Synthetic Brush, The Leaf Razor, The Twig Razor, A blade. After years of buying this and that, spending a bloody fortune, selling them all, buying them all again, selling them all again. I have realised that I can have a drama free perfectly acceptable shave with just these. I know it isn't for everyone, Some love to have a collection of fantastic Razors, Soaps, Brushes and all the paraphanailia that goes with a great shave and I hope you all really enjoy collecting and shaving but I have got there, I've never been happier.

I'm finding myself using a few things more and enjoying that. I'm not looking to buy as many things as I once did.

If I did settle on a few items, it would be

Soap - MWF
Brushes - Omega boar & SynBad
Razor - Gillette Tech

I like having a few different aftershaves/blades though, but again I'm settling on a few.

Likewise, I think the Highlander approach has riddled the Synbad to the top of the synthetics in my little collection, so much so that when selecting a synthetic, it'll be my Synbad fan or the Hive or Doppler, both of which are Synbad variants. Very much enjoying my plebian Omega brushes, too - the wood handled in smaller sizes than the big 49 or 98.

I've said it many times before, I could happily have stopped at MWF.

Likewise, I think the Highlander approach has riddled the Synbad to the top of the synthetics in my little collection, so much so that when selecting a synthetic, it'll be my Synbad fan or the Hive or Doppler, both of which are Synbad variants. Very much enjoying my plebian Omega brushes, too - the wood handled in smaller sizes than the big 49 or 98.

I've said it many times before, I could happily have stopped at MWF.

Good to see you settled on those few things as well.

I think synths like that are great but I hope there will be a place for classic unbleached Omega boars.

i’m not at that stage & im unsure if i ever will be.
most of my life is spent traveling and limiting what i have is a nightmare at times.
This trip i took 6 of everything & it’s not enough.
5 weeks i’m i get bored using the same stuff.
I like the variety of being in the house & using what i want rather than having to use what’s available.

I have my 2 all time favourite razors in my collection with the fatboy and the slim. I could easily get rid of the rest. A good semogue boar brush and Nacet blades with a decent tallow soap I would be happy. Still buying stuff I don’t need but if I couldn’t get anything else I wouldn’t be upset with my choices.

I got there in terms of shaving my face for a few years with a single 22mm synthetic brush, a few identical shavettes and blades that I knew worked. I'd just work through a single soap/cream, bottle of aftershave at a time. that's enough variety for me with just a change of scent but using five things at a time till the software was finished.

I recently started shaving my head though and started trying different DE razors and blades, a bigger brush and started reading here again and getting enabled. I'm hoping to settle on hardware again when I've worked out what works best. a handful of razors to have some different aggression levels and get rid of any that don't work the best for me after giving them a good chance with different blades.

Last edited:
It's great to be in that position, but I've just started trying different blades again after settling on one type for years. I'm quite enjoying that, even if they aren't all great.

Last edited:
... or maybe 2.
XpXRmHR.png

i’m not at that stage & im unsure if i ever will be.
most of my life is spent traveling and limiting what i have is a nightmare at times.
This trip i took 6 of everything & it’s not enough.
5 weeks i’m i get bored using the same stuff.
I like the variety of being in the house & using what i want rather than having to use what’s available.
I'm not using what is available mate. I'm using what works. I've had virtually everything from straights to De's, from Injectors to Gems. While the journey is nice, the destination is better. Soap is still Soap, One Mans Wolfman is another Mans Tech. I'm not advocating everyone doing the same, God forbid. One thing is certain, boredom costs.

1. Rolls Razor
2. Shavemac D01 brush
3. Mitchell's Wool Fat or Saponifico Verisino's Cosmo
4. Derby City Chop Shop's Winter Reserve
5. Ralph Lauren Safari for Men

That's it. All I need to have wonderful shaves for the rest of my life.

1 Merkur Progress
2 Supply of Astra SP blades
3 MWF
4 Any Yaqi brush
5 Any cart razor with more than 1 blade and flexi head (for top-ups and fragile skin shaves)
+
Whatever is in the bathroom for pre / post shave (bar of soap, after sun, skin / moisturising cream etc, etc)

I really could get by with those items forever i think

Back
Top Bottom