I have enjoyed using Muelhens 4711 aftershave but my bottle ran out a long time ago. I do have a large bottle of 4711 cologne though (I think I got it very cheap from TKMax). The EdC is nice but has a very short lived scent; so I thought I'd try using it as an AS.

To my surprise it works very well as an AS splashed on the face after shaving. The fact that the scent goes quickly is not important for an aftershave but lasts long enough to be pleasant right after the shave. It also doesn't have the sting I assumed it would have being an EdC and leaves the skin feeling great.

So give it a go if you have the 4711 EdC and don't find you're using it as cologne.

Does anyone else use a cologne as an aftershave?

I use Cella Colonia Classica as an aftershave. Lovely stuff. Ran out months ago, but I have an inkling I might get a bottle for Christmas. :D (as I had to order it myself, because SWMBO wouldn't know where to get it).
I have used Yardley Citrus Wood as an aftershave as well, as it was so dirt cheap two years ago and I bought loads...
Both have a bit more sting than most aftershaves, but I like it that way...

Last edited:
I use Flor Di Curaçao Cologne as an aftershave and it works very well and the scent is long lasting. Although it's sold as a cologne for women it has a very unwomanly scent. I bought for my wife, but she rejected it on first sniff saying it was more suited to men. I picked it up in Willemstad, Curaçao.

Last edited:
This 4711 stuff must be great stuff because any time I have tried to have a whiff the testers are ALWAYS empty! That goes for Boots in UK, Kicks in Norway and Muller in both Austria and Hungary..
Has anyone tried the aftershave as opposed to the EDC?

This 4711 stuff must be great stuff because any time I have tried to have a whiff the testers are ALWAYS empty! That goes for Boots in UK, Kicks in Norway and Muller in both Austria and Hungary..
The AS is a very good performer. Same scent as the EdC but not quite so strong.

Since, like a true cologne, it only lasts about 30 minutes on me I can only guess that those who like it ( and it is very likeable ) pop back in for a respray at intervals whilst they're in the vicinity !

JohnnyO. o/

Could just be that the parent company (same as Tabac I think) is just too stingy to send out new testers to the stores...

I have enjoyed using Muelhens 4711 aftershave but my bottle ran out a long time ago. I do have a large bottle of 4711 cologne though (I think I got it very cheap from TKMax). The EdC is nice but has a very short lived scent; so I thought I'd try using it as an AS.

To my surprise it works very well as an AS splashed on the face after shaving. The fact that the scent goes quickly is not important for an aftershave but lasts long enough to be pleasant right after the shave. It also doesn't have the sting I assumed it would have being an EdC and leaves the skin feeling great.

So give it a go if you have the 4711 EdC and don't find you're using it as cologne.

Does anyone else use a cologne as an aftershave?

I always used it as a splash cologne around the neck to refresh me after a busy day. My mother would put some in our handkerchiefs on our way to school. This cologne is one of my fondest memories from when I was (ahem) a lot younger, relating to wet shaving.

Back
Top Bottom