3rd day with same blade?

So it's my third day de shaving with the Merkur blade that came with the 38c.

Still far better than my normal 4 blade razor, but not sooo-ssmooth today? I'm doing 2 passes each day, but to be honest the second is just to finish if you get my meaning? No nicks or rash, but I do soak my face with hot water after a hot shower and find that a BIG difference. Will give it one more day and then change the blade. I'm sure the heavy razor is the key to no nicks as I can just let the razor do the work imho?

Today I use the Boots Witchhazel gel (as suggested on this site) and aftershave, again the Boots cheap one. My face feels great, and the wife loves the overall smell I'm wafting around the house. The AS is so cheap it's easy to use it as a bit of a splash to be honest.

I have a new AF coming, some Pasanda along with the hair lotion they do, as my scalp gets very dry, so just trying it to see? Cannot wait to see what that smells like!

Pasanda, pasanda??? your going to rub a spicy lamb dish into your face wtf!!!

You mean Pashana i hope, then again that doesn't smell that good either, good luck.

You might find that the blade is only good for 2 shaves on your stubble, it's just one of those variables. Some blades are better than others, and some guys only go for 1 shave from one blade where others get three or 4. I use my Gillettes for 2 or three shaves maximum, they're not dear after all. Bottom line is that if it's not feeling so great, change it.

Merkur blades aren't regarded as being amongst the best anyway, so in turn you'll try something else and probably get a better result, maybe more longevity.

I had a couple of rough shaves recently, and couldn't work out why. I then realised I was using a Merkur blade that came with a razor for the third and fourth day. I must say, I like their razors but I have had varying luck with their blade. They certainly go off quickly.

If the last shave didn't feel so good I would suggest that you don't use it again. It'll be worse, and it'll be going over skin that had a slightly rough go of it last time too.

I am still trying out blades, but Derby Extras are cheap and work well for me (and for my wife's legs too). I am now dumping blades after three shaves.

OrangeSport said:
I had a couple of rough shaves recently, and couldn't work out why. I then realised I was using a Merkur blade that came with a razor for the third and fourth day. I must say, I like their razors but I have had varying luck with their blade. They certainly go off quickly.

IMO, they were never "on" in the first place. Might as well shave with a straightened-out bit of tin can.:icon_rolleyes:

What's wrong with lamb?? Yes sorry about that.

The Merkur blade seemed really good to me, but it's the first de blade I've tried in many years. Will try a new and different blade tomorrow, will see?

Thanks.

English Wilkinson Sword blades give me between 4 and 5 shaves depending on the blade type (NOT the German ones).
Gillette Platinum or Bleue Extra blades again about the 4 or 5 mark, everything else usually three days and in some case one shave and bin (Supermax blades being a case in point here).
But as the Yanks like to say
YMMV.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Prep simple face wash gel
Razor Dubl Duck Goldenedge
Brush Simpsons M7 LE Finest Silvertip
Vito's Coconut & Almond
Alum & Witch Hazel
clinique Moisturiser
Penhaligon's Castile.

Jamie.

Fine shave

002-2.jpg

Wrong thread I think Jamie?

hiya, ive just discovered timor blades dont last for me,first shave was sweet,nice glide and smooth face,second shave last night the blade seemed to be dragging and not cutting,may be down to my poor technique will find out on sat night when i try a derby or feather
all part of the fun trying dif thing,s looking forward to the next time,

IAN

Given that any brand of DE blade's not that expensive, (esp. on Bestshave.net) I get an excellent 3-pass on each edge of most blades I'm currently rotating through. Could probably get a couple more days, but at 20p a blade, approx, or 5p per 3-pass shave, I'd certainly say that 4 days per blade's pretty good value - especially in these fiscally frugal times??

(Due to recent splurges on Bestshave and Amazon, I'm currently rotating through Derby's, Shark Supers, Astra Greens (my personal favourite just now), Timors, Personnas (the ones Asda are selling) and Perma Sharps). No real complaints from any of them - maybe the Derby's aren't consistently good, but my missus likes them for her legs too, so we're both winners, really, as she's starting to use one of my razors to do her legs, instead of her Gillette Venus.

I find that the Astra SP suit me best and the odd feather now and then, I'd say I normally get between 3-5 out of each blade. The derby gave me the worst razor burn I have ever had:icon_eek: but maybe that was my beginners technique,so I haven't been in a hurry to try them again,maybe one day though.

i have generally been getting 3 decent shaves from a derby and the infamous lazer blade, 1 from a bic chrome (seriously) but my all time record is 11 shaves from a polsilver and that only got a bit tuggy on 10. i had 7 from a feather. i wipe the blade with oil between shaves and rotate which side goes 'up'. i have sandpaper texture on my face after 24 hours but tend to shave every 2nd day.

I found the one and only Merkur blade I used not that good. The same could be said of Timor although they are slightly better. Both are made in Solingen. Generally, I change blades after 4 days unless I really feel the need to change earlier, because sometimes the 4th shave can actually be better than the 3rd.

Just going to have my 5th shave with my recently acquired Personna Med Prep blade. The first shave with it was a bit uncomfortable (using my slim adjustable set@7)but the 2nd 3rd and 4th were very smooth (on the same setting.) These are my fave blades at the moment, just edging out the Feathers.

Back
Top Bottom