3ONE6

After seeing a killer bargain on a 3ONE6 it arrived this week and I've now had my first shave with it.

20230405_182547.jpg

I was a dissapointed when I first opened it. The packaging wasn't as fancy as I expected (I know, first world problems) and the razor didn't feel as robust as I had hoped. But I had been shaving all week with the 6S, so not much would feel solid in comparison.

Once I had started to look more closely at the razor the knurling on the handle really impressed me. It's very grippy. Then I noticed the quality of the finish and the engraving. Perhaps I had been a bit hasty. It does look like a luxury product.

20230405_201747.jpg

20230405_202407.jpg

But, how does it shave?

Wow! Just wow!

The first pass WTG was just so natural. It was like I had been using it for ever. There's a nice amount of blade feel and its very effective but not at all aggressive.

The second pass ATG finished the job. My cheeks were utterly smooth and there was just the tiniest hint of stubble on my jaw line. Nothing a little tidying wouldn't remove, but I wanted to see how things would be after just the two passes.

There was absolutely no irritation or skin damage. A really comfortable shave.

I can see why those who love their DE89s might have been a bit dissapointed by the 3ONE6, it is a different shave. Maybe like a 6S on plate 6. But I love it. Really love it. I can't quite believe I'm going to say this, but it is going toe to toe with my R41GS for my favorite razor. And I really don't know who will win!

I just hope EJ has sorted out the issues with handles falling to bits. It's been a while now, so fingers crossed.

20230405_201708.jpg

After seeing a killer bargain on a 3ONE6 it arrived this week and I've now had my first shave with it.

View attachment 103588

I was a dissapointed when I first opened it. The packaging wasn't as fancy as I expected (I know, first world problems) and the razor didn't feel as robust as I had hoped. But I had been shaving all week with the 6S, so not much would feel solid in comparison.

Once I had started to look more closely at the razor the knurling on the handle really impressed me. It's very grippy. Then I noticed the quality of the finish and the engraving. Perhaps I had been a bit hasty. It does look like a luxury product.

View attachment 103589

View attachment 103591

But, how does it shave?

Wow! Just wow!

The first pass WTG was just so natural. It was like I had been using it for ever. There's a nice amount of blade feel and its very effective but not at all aggressive.

The second pass ATG finished the job. My cheeks were utterly smooth and there was just the tiniest hint of stubble on my jaw line. Nothing a little tidying wouldn't remove, but I wanted to see how things would be after just the two passes.

I can see thise who love their DE89s might have been a bit dissapointed by the 3ONE6, it is a different shave. Maybe like a 6S on plate 6. But I love it. Really love it. I can't quite believe I'm going to say this, but it is going toe to toe with my R41GS for my favorite razor. And I really do t know who will win!

View attachment 103590
A good mini review of the 3ONE6, I was thinking about buying one, it being made in this country was one of the reasons but I thought it would be so similar to my Karve Overlander to make it a viable purchase.
Thanks for giving us your thoughts on this razor.

Paul.

I've tried the Edwin Jagger DESSKNBL 3ONE6 Stainless Steel Knurled.
It's a beast. Hefty and efficient.
UJLOuGS.jpg

O2nvWF3.jpg

For my taste, a bit unbalanced.
So I've changed the handle, with a Maggard MR14 Aluminium. I call this frankenrazor Eddy 31614.
SUbCjTt.jpg

This configuration is more of my liking.
Less weight, more balance, better control.
In few words, (for me) more enjoyable.
A very smooth shaver.

View attachment 103588

View attachment 103589

View attachment 103591

But, how does it shave?

Wow! Just wow!

I can see why those who love their DE89s might have been a bit dissapointed by the 3ONE6, it is a different shave. Maybe like a 6S on plate 6. But I love it. Really love it. I can't quite believe I'm going to say this, but it is going toe to toe with my R41GS for my favorite razor. And I really don't know who will win!

I just hope EJ has sorted out the issues with handles falling to bits. It's been a while now, so fingers crossed.

View attachment 103590
This razor looks beautiful. Great review. Just got back into the old shaving after selling all my old gear and starting from scratch. I think this will be one of the more expensive purchases! I'm sold! Thanks!

This razor looks beautiful. Great review. Just got back into the old shaving after selling all my old gear and starting from scratch. I think this will be one of the more expensive purchases! I'm sold! Thanks!
I’m really pleased with it. As a comparison my usual rotation is also a Muhle R41GS, a Rockwell 6S and a Razorine Flatboy with an R41 Twist as my travel razor. The 3ONE6 fits in nicely with that lot.

What do you use at the moment?

I’m really pleased with it. As a comparison my usual rotation is also a Muhle R41GS, a Rockwell 6S and a Razorine Flatboy with an R41 Twist as my travel razor. The 3ONE6 fits in nicely with that lot.

What do you use at the moment?
The Rockwell looks like a good addition too! Is the 3ONE6 a good bit milder than the R41?

At the moment I'm using the Futur now and again and the usual starters (34C and DE89) to get back into the habit. I keep persevering with the R41, but it's like a bloodbath at times .

This time I'm limiting myself to 8 razors at most and then no more purchases, it's too costly

I'm really impressed at some of the new razors out there now since getting back into it. I'll always have a soft spot for the DE89 though, it being the first!

The Rockwell looks like a good addition too! Is the 3ONE6 a good bit milder than the R41?

At the moment I'm using the Futur now and again and the usual starters (34C and DE89) to get back into the habit. I keep persevering with the R41, but it's like a bloodbath at times .

This time I'm limiting myself to 8 razors at most and then no more purchases, it's too costly

I'm really impressed at some of the new razors out there now since getting back into it. I'll always have a soft spot for the DE89 though, it being the first!
It's somewhere between the R41and DE89 - perhaps nearer the '41 though. The lighter aluminium handled versions may be slightly milder (?)

I have been using my all-Stainless 3one6 ~80% of the time and really like it. It is a lot more aggressive in terms of shave efficiency than my EJ DE89 and Gillette Tech (and similar razors) and is much less aggressive than my Muhle R41 while being almost as efficient shaving.

The Muhle Rocca is slightly more aggressive but, not enough to notice unless you have both in hand for the same shave. The 3one6 is more user-friendly in terms of washing out the shave soap and whiskers during the shave. The open safety bar also seems to let more lather in for cushioning while shaving. This isn't to say the Muhle Rocca is better or worse, just that it is very similar in shave quality with some differences that could make it slightly better or worse depending on the individual using them.

Back
Top Bottom