3" or 2" Hone

I am also looking for a touch up hone and was looking at the Chinese 12K , but he also offers a larger size.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Chinese-Water-Hone-Waterstone-8x3-/360262320717?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_212&hash=item53e14ec24d#ht_500wt_928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Chinese-Water ... _500wt_928</a><!-- m -->

A narrower strop encourages even wear because of the type of stroke you have to use. Is it strictly the same case with hones?

A narrower hone would be less affected by an uneven edge or spine.

Personally i just go with whatever i fancy, i don't buy problem razors.

Both your razors are fairly straight and in good nick if I remember correctly, aren't they Tony? If you were planning to get into smiley blades then perhaps the 2" would come in handy, but otherwise I'd take the extra inch. Says he who uses a 1 1/2" stone as often as not.

It is a nice finishing stone - feels a bit worrying to use at first as it is so hard and unforgiving, with little feedback, but it does a v. good job. It takes a lot of strokes to get the edge you want with it - these can be cut down enormously by using a slurry to begin with, but always finish with clear water. As a refresher you can even use it dry, barber-hone style.

Personally I'd get the 3" wide one - you can still do all the rolling and X strokes on it, plus you have the width for blades that are nice and flat. If you need something narrower for a blade that is a real problem, you can always lap one of the sides (takes hours! really hard stone) and use it on its edge.

It's a pity you can't get a longer stone - the extra length would cut the number of laps down. The old charnley forest hones use to be very long for just this reason.

If you are looking for a lower grit stone in the 8000 range, then I suggest you combine the price of the guanxi and 8000 to see what it comes to - you could get a coticule from Ardennes webshop and that would do the job of both - more or less. It will leave the edge a little less sharp than the guanxi, but you can always strop on chrome oxide to bring it up to snuff.

Regards,
Neil

nederman63 said:
Why does a problem blade requie a smaller stone?

If you don't do circles or can't do the rolling X stroke, then it helps to use a narrower hone for blades that are uneven,warped or have excessive smiles.

Less of the spine/bevel are in contact with the hone at any one time, so the area receiving attention is not influenced by the rest of the bevel/spine on either side.

However, careful use of a wider hone will do away with the need for a narrower hone - 99% of the time.

Regards,
Neil

Antdad,

I got the 2" from Woodcraft. Based on the price at $20 versus $40, the latter wasn't worth it at least for me. With 3" you've less strokes to contend with because Guangxi's are known to be slow cutters. It's heavily debated stone as far as its cutting speed. Some like results and others don't claiming it's too slow to hone with. I like taking the time and I reckon those who don't have patience with Guangxi don't need to be messing around with other naturals. One forum I used to frequent, a "honemeister" claimed the Guangxi to be inconsistent. I've had good results with mine thus far.

Neil Miller said:
nederman63 said:
Why does a problem blade requie a smaller stone?

If you don't do circles or can't do the rolling X stroke, then it helps to use a narrower hone for blades that are uneven,warped or have excessive smiles.

Less of the spine/bevel are in contact with the hone at any one time, so the area receiving attention is not influenced by the rest of the bevel/spine on either side.

However, careful use of a wider hone will do away with the need for a narrower hone - 99% of the time.

Regards,
Neil

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom