2nd Shave with the DE86......Need Help!!!

This evening was my second shave with my new purchase and although im getting a very smooth shave its also cutting me to shreds using a derby for the second time. I dont feel im using any pressure but this razor feels completely different to my Feather Popular TTO which gives me excellent shaves all of the time with numerous dufferent blades (Derbys, Trigs, Personnas, Feathers, Wilkinsons)

Am I holding it incorrectly? Is my angle wrong with this baby?

Please help, I'm thinking to give it one more go towards the end of the week and if the results are the same you'll be sure to see it in the B/S/T section.

If I do decide to get rid, what should I get in it's place, I'm thinking along the lines of Gillette superspeeds/Techs, opions please.

Thanks

TLT

I have a DE86 and it gives me the best shaves. A lot of folks on this forum will give favourable reviews for this razor, and the EJ head. Don't give in with it yet, it is a top razor.
Are derby's your usual blades?
I would try another blade and hopefully it will be better for you.

JaseB,

Thanks for your reply, the reason I chose this razor was because of the rave reviews I read on the forum, Derbys are my normal blade and I get great shaves with these and pretty much anything that I've tried including feathers in the Feather Popular, only blades that I've seemed to get irritation from are Yellow 7 O'Clocks, but this new EJ DE86 really cut me up again today.

Assuming that the blade is properly centralized when its buttoned up. ie an even amount of blade exposure on both sides. I would say it is your angle of attack. Try a different blade, the one you put in could be a duffer, then give it another go.

I have not used an EJ, I have noticed they get a lot of air time on the forums mostly saying how mild mannered these are.

Good luck ;)

I would give it another go with a different blade what with the QC of Derby blades at the moment or try corking the Derby, what I've read the DE86 is a cracking razor.

I had an EJ89L briefly, but it was simply too mild for me, and the Derby has ever been a well-behaved blade.
So one must conclude that you and your EJ have just not settled down together yet - give it a bit longer and for the moment and shave as lightly as you can.
If, however you are truly in distress I can lend you an early SS until things are resolved.

His dodgy Derby blades work fine in the other razor though.How does that add up?

I would be inclined to listen to Anton here.

SirPrize said:
So one must conclude that you and your EJ have just not settled down together yet - give it a bit longer and for the moment and shave as lightly as you can.

Thanks for all of the replys Gents, and for your kind offer SirPrize, I'm gonna give it a few more goes with a different blade before I give up totally, if the worse comes to the worse I still have my Feather Popular to fall back on.

I'm still thinking to purchase one/a couple of older razors,any suggestions preferably TTO, I'm thinking Superspeeds/Techs, What do you think, are they mild or aggressive razors?

Thanks TLT :)

I also moved from feather popular but to a DE89 which I believe has the same head. The 1st couple of shaves were not so good as the angle is a wee bit different and it is a heavier razor but after a short time I adjusted my technique accordingly albeit subconsciously. To me it was a bit like finding the clutch biting point when you get into an unfamiliar car.

The London Turk said:
Thanks for all of the replys Gents, and for your kind offer SirPrize, I'm gonna give it a few more goes with a different blade before I give up totally, if the worse comes to the worse I still have my Feather Popular to fall back on.

I'm still thinking to purchase one/a couple of older razors,any suggestions preferably TTO, I'm thinking Superspeeds/Techs, What do you think, are they mild or aggressive razors?

Thanks TLT :)

Superspeed is a mild razor - you are unlikely to have any trouble with one.

Sorry to read that LT, but as others have said, try some different blade makes (never thought much of Derbys, myself).

I have the same razor in ivory (DE 87) and I can't praise it enough -- my No.1 razor. However, if the EJ continues giving you unpleasant shaves, even with good technique and different blades, I'd advise B/S/T. No point in banging your head against a brick wall...or walking round looking like a habitual self-harmer.

Hi Fellas,

Just an update, I've been getting some great shave's from this razor now, the 3rd shave with the Derby was smooth and and I got one slight nick on my chin but nothing to write home about, Ive been using Personna's with it since and other than the odd nick been very good. It must have been getting use to the razor, adjusted my grip, holdng like a dart now, and paid more attention with my angle and pressure, great shaves :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've also adjusted my holding to dart style and that has improved things a lot. I think it gives you a lighter touch, before I think I was pressing a bit even though I really concentrated on not doing it.

Back
Top Bottom