Like many people here, I'm often buying and occasionally selling shaving equipment. In my case it's razors, or was until recently.

At the end of 2015, I had one brush. The Whipped Dog 30mm synthetic. I was pretty happy with it, and had no intention of going down the brush rabbit-hole.

So far this year, my haul has been as follows:

Plisson Synthetic - had been lent to a friend, and was returned. Floppy but I like it.
Chubby 2 synthetic - this really showed me that I should investigate brushes more, love it
Shavemac 2-band silvertip (not D01) 26mm/48mm - my first badger, not enormously successful
Chubby 2 manchurian - I have been blown away by this
Morris and Forndran 2XL finest - seems a bit sparse compared to the manchurian

I've learned a few things from the experience.

I think I made a mistake with the Shavemac. I set the loft at 48mm, which I think means it doesn't release lather as well as I would like. I could definitely use even more backbone though, so perhaps I should have gone for D01. Too many options, so I decided to go for brushes which are already configured by the manufacturer from now on, rather than trying to specify for myself.

The CH2 manchurian is huge. I nearly got a CH3 and I'm so glad I didn't. It's far bigger than the Shavemac, and also far bigger than the M&F (which was a surprise). I didn't really know what people meant by "scrub", but I do now, and whilst I don't know if I'd seek it out, I wouldn't change a thing about this brush. I really enjoy using it.

The M&F seems to be just a good middle-of-the-road brush to me. No fireworks. Lather building and release is fine. Size is fine. Softness is OK. Nothing amazing, just a good brush. Hair density seems much lower, and whilst I'm loading the brush, I notice big gaps between the hairs.

Overall I feel perhaps M&F are overrated due to rarity, and Chubbys might be underrated as they're easily available, and frankly too expensive for me.

Interesting observations Wintoid. Sorry to hear the 2 band Shavemac didn't work out for you. It does sound as though you want more backbone through density (such as the DO1 knots). With regards to lather flow I would strongly suggest loading the brush so the first white band is saturated with soap then put around two teaspoons of water on the top of the brush and build your lather. Before each pass add a few more drops of water to the brush tips. Should help. I'm sure you are already just using the tips to load and not mashing the brush.

I found M&F to be underwhelming too. However, find some of their 'good' hair and its a treat. I'm not a big fan of Simpson brushes to be honest. Didn't get on with the chubby too much scritch. Shavemac finest is less rough than Simpsons silvertip IMO. I do like some of their manchurian knots but way to hit and miss.

Incidentally the Epsilon sounds right up your street.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear the 2 band Shavemac didn't work out for you.

It's all learning, isn't it?

With regards to lather flow I would strongly suggest loading the brush so the first white band is saturated with soap then put around two teaspoons of water on the top of the brush and build your lather. Before each pass add a few more drops of water to the brush tips. Should help. I'm sure you are already just using the tips to load and not mashing the brush.

Thanks that's brilliant, I'll definitely go back and try your advice. Visually, I really like the Shavemac. I started using the "marco method" with the Shavemac, and I found I could get it to be completely saturated in lather, with surplus lather on top of the brush too. The first pass would be fine, as that surplus lather was getting painted on to my face. Second pass was OK, as the stuff at the tips would come out onto my face. Third pass was where it all fell apart. I know there's more lather in there, but it's not giving it up.

Incidentally the Epsilon sounds right up your street.

Haha get thee hence!

Precisely its all a learning curve and when you think you know what your favourite brush options are, another comes along that messes with your head and wallet!

This is the thing, having the whole knot saturated will result in holding soap at the base, which you then need to squeeze out and what's the point in paying a ton for a brush that cannot deliver an easy 3 passes right? By keeping the top band saturated and adding water, only runny lather should at times 'leak' from the base of the knot which is fine as once the knot is agitated against the face this watery lather will flow through and build thick. It seems counter intuitive in that more soap=more lather, but trust me, took me some time to appreciate how best to use my shorter Shavemac knots and this is one option.

Yes get the Epsilon! It has equal density if not more IMO compared to the chubby. Zero scritch, plenty of backbone and good flow through. In other words a better chubby (IMO). Not as much backbone as chubby manchurian brushes though.

Hmm so on the basis of trying not to push lather deeper into the brush, should I also avoid letting the brush splay when I press it to my face?

Hmm so on the basis of trying not to push lather deeper into the brush, should I also avoid letting the brush splay when I press it to my face?
To be honest you will always have the brush splay when lathering. What I wouldn't do is mash the brush. I like to paint a thin layer of soap on my face first, then proceed to add water to the knot and use light circular motions followed by painting strokes. I never push the brush to its base, against my face.

If you love the Chubby manchurian, you should give the Romera manchurian a look. You can specify knot & loft size within reason & they are a third of the price of Simpsons. Hardwood handles too. Very nice brushes.

Cool, perhaps I've been mashing it too much. I'm breaking in the M&F still, which is keeping me from my beloved Chubby. Perhaps I'll sneak in some practice lathers with the Shavemac to see if your ideas help :)

If you love the Chubby manchurian, you should give the Romera manchurian a look. You can specify knot & loft size within reason & they are a third of the price of Simpsons. Hardwood handles too. Very nice brushes.

Thanks, I was considering one at one point from our very own @Holyzeus but decided not to. Not sure whether I'd buy from Romera direct, based on some of the experiences I'd read about.

No problem one other thing use luke warm not hot water during the pre soak (15 mins). You don't want the knot hairs to spread, which I find happens when using a hot water pre soak.

No problem one other thing use luke warm not hot water during the pre soak (15 mins). You don't want the knot hairs to spread, which I find happens when using a hot water pre soak.

I'm exclusively a cold water shaver. Does that matter? I also tend to presoak only for a minute or two, because time is tight in the mornings. When presoaking, I have been splaying the brush to get the air bubbles out. Should I avoid that too?

Yep I just put the brush in water no forced splaying. You need to pre soak for much longer than 2 minutes especially in cold water. Shave cold but try a luke warm pre soak for 15 mins.

Great write up @wintoid. This too is my year to explore the wonderful world of the brush. I've bought the razors I coveted, apart from the new ATT single edge and when I get home from Tenerife I'll pre order that. Brushes though are beautiful objects. I look forward to getting to know some of the great ones. I've got a Cadman beng made as we speak and I've got my name down for the TSR Epsilon. It's gonna be a good year.

I would of agreed with that but my latest one is quite scritchy compared to the cloud like one i've just sold

Funny enough my top 4 brushes over course of 5 years are

Shavemac XMas TSR Barber
Old Kent Bk4 bit floopy but lovely
Thater 4125/1 2 band silvertip
Vintage Plisson HMW 12

I dont like Manchurian hair at all for some reason. IMHO best from Simpson is BEST grade. I really want to try Simpson 58 BEST in some nice resin as with my big hands Chubby handle is uncomfortable.

From M&F I had Chief I liked but rest was disappointing. Same with Paladin sadly.

Well when I have funds I will try Epsilon as you guys say

Try Thater silvertip my one was definitely a hit a comfortable handle:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom