1st SE shave / GEM 1912 - Wow

Picked up 3 GEM 1912s a few weeks ago and have been waiting on the PTFE coated blades from Connaught's. Each of the razors is slightly different. 2 British made, one U.S. made. The handles differ slightly as seen in photo. All in nice condition and cleaned up well with some simple measures. One with its original bakelite box and some original British made GEM blades (partly rusted and certainly not for using).

Had my first go this morning. Took it slow and easy. Good prep and lots of TOBS lather. Was careful to not overdo the angle. Kept the flat of the razor head at 5-10 degrees throughout most of the shave.

The feel was totally different to a DE. Did not expect to notice so much of a difference. Handling the razor felt intuitive. Correct angle very easy to find. Tricky parts were the chin area and under the nose - as always. With 2 passes I had a DFS. Neck area cleaned up beautifully with 2 passes and a touch up. No nicks or cuts. Did not push my luck and stopped at that point.

Definitely keen to use these more.
[attachment=6387]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358637449.055602.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358637449.055602.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 112
Nice razors aren't they :) I love using mine,and can get a very nice shave out of it, quick,clean,comfortable.
The only trouble I have is cleaning the springs on the bottom of the razor, so I'm looking for a small thin tooth brush to sort that out :s but other than that nice shavers.

You should also try a Feather SE blade - but you will need to take the spine off a Gem blade and attach it to the Feather. This is pretty easy to do with a couple of small screwdrivers and it helps if you have a vice to secure the blade.

The Feather blade give a completely different shave to the Gem although they don't last as long.

Some feathers on the way to use in some Valets I've picked up. I've had a VC2 for a few weeks. Also picked up a nice VC3 today for $10 in a nice nickel box.

Gradually working through a backlog of new items. If only one could shave several times a day. I suppose it would become less enticing then.

Incidentally - my Muele R89 arrived for my son. Purchased on strong recommendation from some of you I recall. Also an R41 which I'll save up using for a while.

I had my third shave with the GEM this morning. Getting better each time.

Wielding this unusually shaped razor is becoming easier with each shave. I've been using a "pinch hold" on the neck area of the handle, just below the head. This is starting to feel pretty comfortable and natural. Allows for a light touch with no excess pressure. The area below my nose - which often poses some difficulty with a DE - is becoming surprisingly easy.

I went for a careful ATG 3rd pass this time which went really well. The feeling on my cheeks was amazing. I needed to adjust my angle a few times but I ended up with a mighty fine smooth shave. One of my best ever. The blade is starting to feel nice and smooth but it was still slicing through nicely.

Holding a DE razor again will seem odd after a few more days of using this baby.

I don't have much to compare it with, as my 1912 US-made Ever-Ready SE is only my second 'proper' razor (after the cheap-&-cheerful Boots DE), but half-a-dozen shaves in, I'm really enjoying using it - it's given me my best shaves to date. The only drawback for me is some awkwardness getting close to my nose.

misteraitch said:
The only drawback for me is some awkwardness getting close to my nose.

I have a fair sized honker (Mediterranean background).
Although it is awkward for me also around the proboscis, I have found the GEM so far to be easier than my usual Merkur HD. I've been using a diagonal and curving downstroke towards the midline in this area. The edge of the razor curving in a sort of sweeping arc. Done very carefully.

I also tackle it by pushing up my nose, piggy fashion, to each side and going somewhat North-South. Need to be very careful not to apply pressure at the top of the stroke where the blade angle is slightly greater initially. Also a slight curving/arcing action here but this time towards the face. It all seems to be in the slight wrist movements needed. ... for me at least.

Careful concentration definitely needed!

possumbelly said:
misteraitch said:
The only drawback for me is some awkwardness getting close to my nose.

I have a fair sized honker (Mediterranean background).
Although it is awkward for me also around the proboscis, I have found the GEM so far to be easier than my usual Merkur HD. I've been using a diagonal and curving downstroke towards the midline in this area. The edge of the razor curving in a sort of sweeping arc. Done very carefully.

I also tackle it by pushing up my nose, piggy fashion, to each side and going somewhat North-South. Need to be very careful not to apply pressure at the top of the stroke where the blade angle is slightly greater initially. Also a slight curving/arcing action here but this time towards the face. It all seems to be in the slight wrist movements needed. ... for me at least.

Careful concentration definitely needed!

I'll try that - thanks!

Making a Cross said:
I love mine, took a shave to get used too, but wow the results are fantastic. I'm just working up the guts to shave my head with it now, not quite there yet!

I picked up 4 SE's from the bay last week at a grant total of £11. There's a US made Gem, a British Ever Ready, a Star and not sure of the other one. Loaded the Gem last night for shave this morning with one of Connaught's paint scraper Gem blades. Wow... different technique to DE and possibly a little heavy handed resulting in a couple of weepers. Despite extravagant lashings of ASB face is still feeling a touch "prickly" if you get my my meaning. Certainly no need for three passes.
Will give the Ever Ready a go later this week.

Any tips out there greatly received...

Thanks,

Jon

jds said:
Making a Cross said:
I love mine, took a shave to get used too, but wow the results are fantastic. I'm just working up the guts to shave my head with it now, not quite there yet!

I picked up 4 SE's from the bay last week at a grant total of £11. There's a US made Gem, a British Ever Ready, a Star and not sure of the other one. Loaded the Gem last night for shave this morning with one of Connaught's paint scraper Gem blades. Wow... different technique to DE and possibly a little heavy handed resulting in a couple of weepers. Despite extravagant lashings of ASB face is still feeling a touch "prickly" if you get my my meaning. Certainly no need for three passes.
Will give the Ever Ready a go later this week.

Any tips out there greatly received...

Thanks,

Jon
You have to get the angle /pressure corect with these razors ( dont apply presure, let the razor do the work) use the Internet for pictures for original instructions(google image) and youtube for shaving videos.:)

Back
Top Bottom