1930's Gillette Criterion

Anyone else come across this on EBay? It looks superb but I must confess I know little about vintage razors however I am rather interested by this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replated-18k-Gold-1930-Gillette-Criterion-Open-Comb-DE-3pc-Safety-Razor-w-Case-/261658070301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cec094d1d

As far as I know the cracking along the handle is quite common? Question is, it seems rather expensive to me?

Any advice appreciated!

The razors from that seller are always on the top side.
I have the same razor without the case and didn't pay anything near that. The case though does add quite a bit to value.
The razor in this sale also has been re plated. Most handles of this type have minor cracks but usually are no problem to using the razor.

They give a great shave those razors. I don't understand why one would go to the effort of restoring something, or simply replating something that's going to come out sub-par though. The crack in the handle would render that as 'user grade' at best, to me. If I was going to make a showpiece I'd start with a razor without any flaws that can't be healed with a replate.

A big problem with that logic is that it's very very rare to find a New Standard or a New Criterion without those little cracks (Tuckaways have the same problem). They would have to have been sitting at a reasonably consistent room temperature for 80-90 years to avoid it. Honestly, I think a New Standard without slight cracks is rarer than a Darwin.

Hmmm, so general consensus seems to be as per my original thoughts (i.e expensive)

I wasn't too fond of that crack in the handle either but have found through my searches most examples seem to have the same issue.

seejaysee said:
A big problem with that logic is that it's very very rare to find a New Standard or a New Criterion without those little cracks (Tuckaways have the same problem). They would have to have been sitting at a reasonably consistent room temperature for 80-90 years to avoid it. Honestly, I think a New Standard without slight cracks is rarer than a Darwin.
That's interesting. I've an example stowed away I think. Not a Darwin. Have to dig it out and have a look.

seejaysee said:

I have a 1935 English Belmont Deluxe, no cracks in the handle at all. Its the same as the Criterion in the advert but is nickel plated. I have seen razors of this period with cracks in the handle as well, but you can find examples with good handles.
The one in the advert is retail priced and for me is well over priced esp when you add import duty etc. I think if you are patient you could get a better example for a lot less cash.

Apologies, I may have overstated the case. I believe that every single example that I have ever seen has the crack, and that every single FS thread with them states "the customary crack".

Back
Top Bottom