1927 or 1981 DE razor advice

If I was looking for either a 1927 or a 1981 - my late grand fathers birth year and mine- DE razor can someone give me some tips as to what if any markings indicate a razors year? Or do you normally just have to trust the seller if they put a date on it? :-/

Cheers

Hi.
No Gillette date codes before 1930. However, the Gillette 102 Old Type was used up to 1927.
1981 date code is B & then followed by a 1-4 number, indicating the quarter of that year. You'll probably be looking at a Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" for that year. These are a very highly rated DE razor. Go for it!

zygalski said:
Hi.
No Gillette date codes before 1930. However, the Gillette 102 Old Type was used up to 1927.
1981 date code is B & then followed by a 1-4 number, indicating the quarter of that year. You'll probably be looking at a Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" for that year. These are a very highly rated DE razor. Go for it!

Excellent thanks a lot. So being born in July 81 in an ideal world I'd be after a B3?

zygalski said:
Hi.

Not quite true........no date/month (E1 etc) codes before 1949. But up until 1930 you can date most razors by its serial number i.e. my Bostonian Gold set is #747030A. The number system only applied to the New Improved not the Old series after 1921.
So you could get the correct year just not month.

TRXnMe said:
The B3 marking was used twice by the way, 1953 and 1981, so make sure you know which models were available in which years :)

Haha yeah :) the black handle super speed and super adjustable are the two options for 81 looking at the table

Back
Top Bottom