Closed 1914 AND 1924 SE Passaround

Prep: Hot Shower, L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil

Brush: 24mm White Envy in Custom Handle

Soap: Bufflehead Fifth Season

Razor: Ever Ready 1914 (GEM)

Post: Alum, Extra Lather, Witch Hazel, L'Occitane Cade AS Balm

Fragrance: L'Occitane Cade

I think I've fallen in love with this razor. Everyone's cool if I just pass on the 1924 yeah? Obviously I'm joking but seriously, this razor is a beauty.

Loaded up the brush and went to work. Plenty of growth to attack here so a bit more of a challenge for the little lather catcher. The slickness on this soap is dreamy. If you haven't tried it I suggest you do.

First pass. Same as last time. Gliding through hair like a lump of granite on a Scottish ice rink. Effortless. The audio feedback from this thing is phenomenal. It's almost harmonic.

Second pass and the euphoria continues. It sounds like it should be tugging but it's not. Total BBS in two passes once again.

I think the Cade AS balm is the best of the L'Occitane balms. It just seems to leave my skin that little bit softer. The fragrance also matches the Bufflehead really quite well. All in all another bloody good shave.
Hi
I find it is even better with a 1/2 spine shim ,same applies to the 1924. Today is Patent Day for the 1914, and i had a great shave with one today.
Mike

Prep: Usual

Soap: Strop Shoppe LE Russian Tea

Brush: Semogue BC Cerda

Razor: Ever Ready 1914 (left), Ever Ready 1924 (right)

Fragrance: L'Occitane Badian

So I decided for the last shave with these razors I'd do a side by side comparison.

I whipped up the Strop Shoppe into a magnificent dense lather. Such a fantastic soap. I was genuinely disappointed when they decided to cease business.

I started with the right side of my face with the 1924 and then proceeded with the 1914 for the left side of my face.

After the first pass (WTG) it was difficult to differentiate between the two but after the 2nd pass (ATG) I think the 1914 just edged it in terms of BBS. There's something about the 1914. It almost feels like it has a bit of spring built into the head which for some reason seems to assist me. I did feel a little more love for the 1924 after this shave however. I think initially I was so stunned by the 14 that I disregarded it a touch.

Many thanks to Alan for doing this pass around. You have opened my eyes to something I would probably have never delved into. So much so that I've bought a 1914 from @Fergiebilly that appears to be in absolute mint condition. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Anyhow, it's time to pass these on to the next lucky gentleman. If @Burgundy could PM me your address I'll get it posted out tomorrow for you :)
Thanks

The 1914 and the OCMM are two razors that have been at the top of my test list. I've been using SEs extensively, almost exclusively, for well over a year.

Aesthetically, the 1914 can be described as 'functional'. The big lower lip and 'lift here' instructions make it one of the ugly stepsisters to the 1924. Sorry to any offended Ever Ready purists! I also find the razor closer in use to the 1912 than the 1924.

Two things struck me in my first two shaves, Firstly, the lather catcher design works well to deal with the excess; clogging is not an issue whether with soap, cream or even shaving foam! Secondly, the distance and positioning of the blade from the handle means that I found longer strokes more comfortable.

Speaking of the handle, I reckon that the length and weight of handle is divisive. With the fashion for large and heavily-knurled handles I reckon that the daintier SE forms put plenty of people off. Fortunately, I'm happy with small and light!

Over the course of time, I used it several times with the same blade (going from sharp to muted). At no time did it draw blood. Yet it has ample cutting power and I was left with good results: there was no irritation and the finish was always smooth everywhere but the chin. It's forgiving, rather than mild, and perfectly efficient.

This is as much the GEM PTFE blade at work as the razor. I've come to respect this blade a lot. The rigidity means no perceptible blade chatter and it mellows with age. Unlike a DE blade, it deteriorates until it can no longer cut through hair effectively rather deteriorating until it cuts you. In many ways, my SE adventure is about finding my preferred razor(s) to present this blade in the way that best works for me.

A few years ago, I would now be scouring eBay for my own. But this week I have no urge to do so. I didn't get the feeling. Part of the issue is that I think my interest in shaving as a hobby is on the wane. I've tested and tweaked many variables, gone full circle on a number of product areas, and come to understand what it is I actually want from a shave (beyond wanton material accumulation). In my ever-dwindling collection of safety razors, I have preferred alternatives.

In brief, the 1914 is a superb and refined tool. It's just not the razor I want to spend the rest of my life with.

Back
Top Bottom