Fitted Sheets

I purchased my first decent mattress in 2016, and decided to get new bedding replacing my M&S Home and House of Fraser duvet sets and fitted sheets. I went around my local stores and came away with the following:

Behrens or Belledorm Hotel Collection from Home Sense/TK Maxx
Dorma from Dunelm
Christy from their Outlet
I may have other Behrens and Bedeck sheets but they have been relegated to a box somewhere.

The Hotel Collection sheets were my favourites.

I have now been on a spree to to get better sheets and covers. Probably the best fitted sheets are Sferra Giza 45, which are $535.00 for Queen in Percale, a lot more for a King in Sateen.

I have since ordered the following:

Cotton Collective Giza 87 Percale 300 TC double sheets.These are fabulous, I got them in the Easter sale and I am awaiting another sale. £49.00 reduced to £39.00

Tielle - Cool and Crisp 200 TC double sheets.
£27.00. Actually Cheap and Nasty, but it's a £10.00 return fee...

King of Cotton Egyptian 400 TC double sheets.£33.00.They feel great, but yet to wash.

Natural Bedding Co Egyptian double bed duvet cover. Reduced by £60.00 to £40.00.
Yet to arrive.

What's on your bed? St. Geneve, Sferra, Schlossberg of Switzerland, Frette, Pratesi, Porthault, Yves Delorme, Christian Fischbacher, Slabbinck, Signoria di Firenze, Bellino, Anichini. Bagni Volpi.

Bedding is a funny thing. They can be garbage despite the claimed thread count, or at least inferior compared to the description. Nowadays I wait until sales are on and buy on the high street, where I can feel quality. Also I've seen expensive bedding labelled as 100% cotton that feels like polly cotton.

My first lot of great bedding came from TK Max and lasted me years, but they don't seem to have much now. I also got some great 300TC cotton from an Indian guy at a market. Something like £40 for duvet cover and 2 pillow slips.

The Secret linen Store has some nice stuff but not cheap. Again wait until sales. The tiny stripe is nicer then you might think at 260 TC. Thread count isn't everything. Avoid ebay.

Quality bedding is one of those things eh. When you've had quality you just can't go back to rubbish.

I forget what the thread count but it was quite high I seem to remember and Egyptian cotton in white, very nice indeed and you can feel the difference and I feel it plays an important part of getting a good nights sleep. :) P.

Cotton/linen Metis flat sheets (bottom and topsheet) hospital corners of course. I did away with a duvet cover a while back and just use a top sheet to protect it now, I have a bedspread to cover it during the day. It paid dividends during this recent hot weather as I can just throw off the duvet and been covered by just the topsheet. For some strange reason I've never liked fitted sheets.

Cotton/linen Metis flat sheets (bottom and topsheet) hospital corners of course. I did away with a duvet cover a while back and just use a top sheet to protect it now, I have a bedspread to cover it during the day. It paid dividends during this recent hot weather as I can just throw off the duvet and been covered by just the topsheet. For some strange reason I've never liked fitted sheets.
I am tempted to go with cellular cotton or wool blankets aka hospital blankets and a flat top sheet. At the moment it's just a fitted bottom sheet and pj's, no duvet at all.

Dave, good idea; but have got a king size bed and use king size sheets, never used to be an issue until the deep mattresses came out and don't really like fitted sheets; neither does partner, as she comes from the hospitality / hotel sector. They may do super king, but then additional price I expect; but one can't have it all!

I have bought another load of Egyptian and Pima cotton sheets - around six. Last summer I bought a hospital blanket which I will use in the spring. I have just bought a Hungarian Goose down duvet to replace my existing Feather duvet. Hopefully I will put it on the bed this weekend.

Funny enough I'm just in the market for new bed linen. Previously I purchased King of Cotton 800 TC for a King size, which never really fitted. It was only yesterday, after having them for around 5 years (and now worn out) that I actually measured them and found that they were never the size that they stated they were. I think that I may now go for super king flat sheets for a king size bed. I am tempted to go with basic ASDA cotton 300 TC flat sheets, which are around £15.50 to see how they are; but have also considered The White Company Essential range and possibly King of Cotton 400 TC. I will stick with the plainest sheets in plain white and do not see the need for any fancy piping or stitching or indeed scalloped edges etc because they only cause more issues when ironing and are tucked under the mattress in any case.

Has anyone tried the ASDA plain white flat sheets in cotton 300 TC ; The White Company Essentials and how did your King of Cotton 400 TC come up following washing Sabre? Sabre, I expect as usual you have probably purchased enough sheets (and bed linen) to fit out a hospital ward or a floor of a hotel!

Funny enough I'm just in the market for new bed linen. Previously I purchased King of Cotton 800 TC for a King size, which never really fitted. It was only yesterday, after having them for around 5 years (and now worn out) that I actually measured them and found that they were never the size that they stated they were. I think that I may now go for super king flat sheets for a king size bed. I am tempted to go with basic ASDA cotton 300 TC flat sheets, which are around £15.50 to see how they are; but have also considered The White Company Essential range and possibly King of Cotton 400 TC. I will stick with the plainest sheets in plain white and do not see the need for any fancy piping or stitching or indeed scalloped edges etc because they only cause more issues when ironing and are tucked under the mattress in any case.

Has anyone tried the ASDA plain white flat sheets in cotton 300 TC ; The White Company Essentials and how did your King of Cotton 400 TC come up following washing Sabre? Sabre, I expect as usual you have probably purchased enough sheets (and bed linen) to fit out a hospital ward or a floor of a hotel!
The King of Cotton sheets are fine, depending on stocks they could be Wallace Sacks bedding. I have placed another order with King of Cotton. The other half has a White Company set, but not from the essential range which she irons or sends to the ironing lady...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom