Zero waste/minimal waste shaving

I find the idea of picking blades for their packaging and not primarily based on how they shave... strange...

I can't remember the packaging of Derby blades, but even if the blades were compostable and came in edible packaging I wouldn't let one near my face.
Never. Ever. Again.

One more thought: Is using tallow based soaps environmentally friendly?
Killing cows for the tallow stops them from producing methane. :devilish:
Sounds logical. I'll stick with Tabac.

How is plastic bad for the environment? I put plastic in the recycle bin not sure what happens then? Some is burned? Some is recycled? Is it bad for the environment either way? Or is it mainly when produced plastic is a bad boy?

Last edited:
to minimise water use I fill an enamel mug to use to rinse my razor - no need to fill a sink - then you can flush the water away instead of getting loads of soap and bristles clogging your sink

I think a decent synthetic brush would be a better purchase than an animal hair brush as it would last longer. Possibly a benefit too for those interested in the animal welfare side of things too.

I used to buy vintage blades (I have too many now, I'll never use them all!) which were produced many years ago so have no further impact, apart from delivery (which you'd have with modern anyway). I get many more shaves from vintage blades too.

Vintage razors are a great idea.

I wouldn't mind a vintage straight razor and then I wouldn't even have to throw away blades. But I'm a bit scared to shave my whole head with a straight razor haha.

And yes, I agree about all the other products that I need to live being a much worse and bigger problem.

Does anyone have experience with Lord razor blades? I was thinking of getting Lord Super Chrome blades next time, but I can't tell if there's any plastic packaging.

More meat
less greens
fart less

I use only Rolls razors, so all the razors I use are 60+ years old, as are the blades. The soap is usually one of Signature Soaps which come in a small aluminium tin which is recyclable when empty, my hand soap / shower soap is usually Signature Soaps hand made cold pressed, which come in card boxes and my usual brush is a Simpson Sovereign which came in a cardboard box, most of my A/S splashes are recyclable glass bottles.
I can't remember the last time I purchased a new razor blade, using the Rolls I just strop and hone the original blade!
Steve

I wouldn't mind a vintage straight razor and then I wouldn't even have to throw away blades. But I'm a bit scared to shave my whole head with a straight razor haha.

Not been thinking too hard about this have we?

Make a blade bank out of something steel (a can), once full enter the lot into the local recycling stream.

Not been thinking too hard about this have we?

Make a blade bank out of something steel (a can), once full enter the lot into the local recycling stream.

I've heard people in the US say this, but in the UK, a lot of our recycling is sorted by hand. I realise that the blades start off in the blade bank, but through the process does anyone know if this is safe for the workers at a recycling facility?

If the bank is sealed with just a slot for entry I don't see how anybody could possibly get hurt nonetheless metals in the waste stream are not usually sorted by hand, and ferrous metals are usually seperated by magnetic conveyor.

The hand sorting I've seen is earlier in in the process to be fair, separating cardboard from metal from nappies (seriously) to see what can and can't be recycled. If the can is sealed with only a slot, how can they be sure what's inside? From the sound, I guess they can be pretty sure that it doesn't contain mushrooms, but could be metal, some types of plastic perhaps or a mix of different things?

The hand sorting I've seen is earlier in in the process to be fair, separating cardboard from metal from nappies (seriously) to see what can and can't be recycled. If the can is sealed with only a slot, how can they be sure what's inside? From the sound, I guess they can be pretty sure that it doesn't contain mushrooms, but could be metal, some types of plastic perhaps or a mix of different things?
I write 'used blades' on mine to make it clear what's inside

If you do get blades that have a plastic container (e.g. Feather), use the container as a blade bank. They hold quite a few used blades.

They usually sort nappies and other unrecyclable materials from the stream by hand not metals as that can be done so easily by machine. Any contiminants (labels or food for instance) are removed/disappear during the reprocessing.

I was rummaging in the kitchen larder for something and came across some small tins of condense milk from a well-known manufacturer. Me thinks, this is perfect for a blade bank! One normally just pierces the top to dispense the milk. So once empty you could use a can opener to create a slot just big enough to receive used blades. Rinsing out the can will a bit of a faff but it cost you nothing.....
Capture.JPG

I was rummaging in the kitchen larder for something and came across some small tins of condense milk from a well-known manufacturer. Me thinks, this is perfect for a blade bank! One normally just pierces the top to dispense the milk. So once empty you could use a can opener to create a slot just big enough to receive used blades. Rinsing out the can will a bit of a faff but it cost you nothing.....
View attachment 55164
Another good option is the tins of coffee - it's easy to cut a slot in the plastic lid

Back
Top Bottom