Zenith Copper Boar with...Verdigris

Gentlemen
I recently purchased several Zenith boar brushes and am really enjoying them. However, I have noticed my copper Zenith developing verdigris. I also see the verdigris working into the brush. Is this normal? I guess I shouldn't be surprised but will this affect the bristles? Also this has developed after using the brush for approx 1/2 dozen times. Should I be letting the brush dry standing up as opposed to hanging bristles down? Any suggestions are appreciated.
IMG_2617.jpg

it’s common on Copper but i haven’t seen it so bad in a new brush.
Try removing it with a tooth brush, or certainly try get the worst off,
Then soak it in Lemon. juice & vinegar
and bobs your uncle as they say.
Get a brush stand and store the brush upside down,
remember it can take 2 days for animal hair brushes to dry.
Nice Brush by the way

Gentlemen
I recently purchased several Zenith boar brushes and am really enjoying them. However, I have noticed my copper Zenith developing verdigris. I also see the verdigris working into the brush. Is this normal? I guess I shouldn't be surprised but will this affect the bristles? Also this has developed after using the brush for approx 1/2 dozen times. Should I be letting the brush dry standing up as opposed to hanging bristles down? Any suggestions are appreciated.
View attachment 103527
Hmm, I’ve never used a brush stand so difficult to say. I’ve always went with the old Simpsons advice of storing a brush on its base as providing excess water is shaken out and the knot towel dried, evaporation takes care of the rest. Evaporation going up the way. Never had a single issue on any of my brushes, wooden handled or otherwise. I’d say you’re more likely to get verdigris on the bristles if there’s still too much moisture around and its dripped from handle to hair.

Great cleaning advice from my fellow countryman @Mike Smart. Toothbrush and/or cloth with toothpaste should get the muck off the handle and the vinegar & lemon to get it out of the knot if plain old soap fails.

Get yourself a cheap impregnated cloth for silver cleaning. After you’ve dried your brush post shave, let it sit for a wee while to dry then give it quick wipe with the cloth. That’ll keep looking great, verdigris free and add a touch tarnish resistance. Just a little investment in terms of funds and time.

Update...I did the vinegar soak and it cleaned the verdigris off the handle and did reduce the bristle staining somewhat. So I guess I'll be doing this occasionally with this brush, which I really like as well. I'll try some lemon juice as well and maybe a bit of metal cleaner. There is still a definite ring of green around the brush at the base...oh well.
tempImage4KRUE3.jpg

I think a tiny bit of green is always going to be unavoidable with a copper handle, makes it a bit high maintenance I suppose but it does look stunning. The only metal handle I have is my Rubberset 400 in aluminium which will never be really shiny but AlO² forms instantly and stops any further tarnish, and anyway it's vintage so a bit of patina suits it.

Back
Top Bottom