Your top 5 favourite brushes?

^^^

Your composition and exposure are great, but you're over-processing your images resulting in halos on the edges, and your brush hairs looking un-natural.

I would say the P8 exposure is pretty much spot on if you consider a strong light source coming from the left of the brush as we look at it, so If you are not using a light box and you are like me always using natural light then you will rarely ever get that balance between your whites and your darkest part of your shot to balance correctly, it's a case of what you want to see most I could take the P8 down a bit but then I would lose some of those lovely amber tones, but I suppose If I spent more than 3 minutes setting up the shot and really wanted the very best exposure then I probably wouldn't be far off the mark, but after all it's only a brush. :)

The exposure is perfectly fine.

It's the post-processing where the issue is. They are over-processed resulting in halos (abnormal bright areas around edges that mimic a halo) and also loss of detail in areas where there are many lines of contrast i.e. the knot. Over-sharpening is the most common cause.

I've used less than 15 different brushes, so my current favourites stand at:

Semogue BC Cerda
Simpson CH1 Super
Semogue BC Texugo
TGN Super-Finest 24mm @ 48mm
Semogue 610
Semogue 208

These will definitely change in the future

This is really tough since I have so many great brushes, but here goes in no particular order:

Simpson's Emperor 2 in 3-band super
shavemac 410 silver tip
HL Thater 4292-4H 3-band silver tip
New Forest 2213 finest silver tip
Rooney Heritage Emillion 1 super

This list could easily change tomorrow as I really like all 24 of my brushes.

Semogue 1305
Semogue 830
Simpson Duke 2 Best
Edwin Jagger Best
Plison Antique Brass handle Pure (Grey)

Greetings

These are my five favourites, I have put them in order of preference from left to right but I have to say that I blow hot and cold, regarding their positions, but I do like the Semogue 1800 the most, the Mistura is as yet not 100% broken and it may (or not) move up a position when it is!

From left to right:-

Semogue 1800 Boar
Semogue OC 2012 SE Mixed
Semogue 610 Boar
Semogue Barbear Classico Mistura
Vulfix 404 Mixed

I would add that I face lather 99% of the time, on the rare occasions when I bowl lather I believe my Semogue 2000 Boar is well ahead of the opposition. As always these views are just mine and I have no more claim to be correct than the next man (or woman):s

Regards
Dick.

IMG_0283.JPG

Back
Top Bottom