Your prefered grind?

Well I tend to prefer full hollow or extra hollow grinds and another feature I prefer in my razor is a square point, but I do own two quarter hollow grinds which shave just as well as my full hollows, what's the most important factor is that they are all honed equally as well and kept that way through a good stropping technique and a good maintenance program with the occasionally taking them back to a high grade hone around a 12K when needs be for refreshing your edge, I was thinking of this yesterday strangely enough, and I took a few photo's starting with my Heljestrand Le Duc 13/16 which is a quarter hollow, then my Hishakaku 6/8 Kamisori grind, Orion Kikuboshi 13/16 quater hollow and Merkur full hollow 6/8, even though I have several other full hollows they are all slightly different, I've noticed a lot of Japanese full hollows are bordering on almost half hollows, I do say bordering but not quite.

Jamie.

Heljestrand Le Duc 13/16 quarter hollow
f52569b7-b797-412d-8ace-ee5e92b69cef_zpsfc8176c9.jpg

Hishakaku folding kamisori 6/8 grind
HishakakuKamisori_zpsffd8be20.jpg

Orion Kikuboshi 13/16 half hollow
0f4adc46-b58b-4507-b812-30ab40610939_zps860adb1a.jpg

Merkur 6/8 full hollow.
304904fd-19d3-4368-ac27-717828ae7901_zps78a97813.jpg

Whether it's the grind or the quality of the blade I'm not sure, but I get the best shave from my Filarmonicas and both are full hollow ground. Having said that, I've got a couple of near wedge blades that are pretty good - I think the influencing factor is that the hollow ground blades are (generally) that much easier to get a good edge on.

I don't use any of my razors often enough to establish whether the hollow ground edges need more maintenance than wedgier blades but people do say that wedges tend to last longer without re-honing. The only other consideration that I'm aware of is coarseness of beard - I've seen recommendations that wedgier blades are better for very heavy stubble. I'm about average so it's not a consideration.

My favorite by far is a half hollow 6/8, I just prefer the stiffer blade that to me is more forgiving in my limited experience than a full hollow 5/8.

UKRob said:
Whether it's the grind or the quality of the blade I'm not sure, but I get the best shave from my Filarmonicas and both are full hollow ground. Having said that, I've got a couple of near wedge blades that are pretty good - I think the influencing factor is that the hollow ground blades are (generally) that much easier to get a good edge on.

This is what has been my experience from Filly's. I get superb shaves from my two DT 13's and my beard is VERY thick and coarse. I usually get the shadow at about 3pm!!

I also have a full hollow Puma and that is as good as the Filly's. The only different one is my Le Grelot which is a quarter grind. Yes it's heavy and can take stubble away like a blow-torch through butter, but there is really no difference between them at all IMHO.

I prefer the heft of a near wedge however they can be a nightmare to hone so for that reason alone I find a quarter hollow my favorite grind. Plenty of weight behind it and easy enough to hone.
I do still use full hollows occasionally and enjoy using them but when I switch back to a heavier grind it just leaves me blown away with the ease in which it removes the stubble.

Hollows can be sharper than wedges due to the lower angle. However, sharpening the wedge flat against the stone lessens the angle.

I prefer 1/2 hollow. But really don't care, I'll use anything. :D

I have been thinking, for some time, of writing something about geometry, shape amd material.

I have always had troubles shaving... my beard is not very thick however it is VERY hard and after many years of razor burn trying several razors (I had several DEs , multi 2-3-4-5 blades with and without "vibrator", shavettes, electrics, you name it i tried it...) I ended using the true straight every week and a Parker R31 with derby blades (again I think I tried at least a dozen different blades) when I am travelling ; the RB is still there, but at least I am having lots of fun.

The ones I prefer are the near wedge ones square point... I feel they are smoother, quieter, precise and the razor burn is minimal.

For some reason I find more pleasing the heaviness and rigidity of the wedge blades; I like stropping them and I like the way they shave.

Funny enough out of all my razors the better ones are the older ones.

I've not found it, yet.

I am having another dabble with straights, but keeping quiet about it.

I do have an old, ratty-looking Spikuson 7/8 razor here that I've used a couple of times, recently. It's a full hollow and seems to be as good as I've tried. I'm impressed by it.

I also have an Avio 9/16 quarter grind which is not so easy to use.

Ian

My two pennys worth I use a quater ground on Sundays this doesn't flex as much as full hollows I use in the week and theres a little more weight to the blade Sundays shave has to be the closest all week (god preferes shaved gents a chapel)

Anything as far away as possible from a Wedge!! I have had little or no luck with honing or pasted Stropping them to an edge!

Back
Top Bottom