Your first De razor

My first DE when I decided to take an interest in shaving again was the Feather Popular. Great shaver, especially when paired with the Feather blade. Still got it enshrined in it's original case and will probably come out when I start thinning out my DE collection again. Last time I did that, I ended up buying three tech clones and an OC so that didn't work too well.

There are so many people who have started with the R89 then the R41, there has to be something in that! And the fact that most of us got RAD as soon as we started to frequent forums . I still use an R41 but still regret selling the R89, I may get another one day, maybe just the head though. :)
I to have the R89 & R41 and wouldn't part with them for the world!..both excellent razors.:)

My first razor was a Merkur 30C. I have not tried the R89 or R41, I do plan to get the R41. Only been using a DE for just over 6 months so still plenty of time.
I've only been DE shaving since April 2016 myself..i bought my R41 5-6 weeks later, and i have to admit my few shaves with it, where a horrible experience..thinking" i bought it on impulse",.. and it was far too aggressive for me!!!...then once i gained confidence, and vastly improved on my technique, and figured out that non-aggressive blades work superbly with aggressive razors and vise versa, i now know how to use it without getting any irritation, i just use no pressure,a derby extra blade and get sublime results.Regards.:)

I've only been DE shaving since April 2016 myself..i bought my R41 5-6 weeks later, and i have to admit my few shaves with it, where a horrible experience..thinking" i bought it on impulse",.. and it was far too aggressive for me!!!...then once i gained confidence, and vastly improved on my technique, and figured out that non-aggressive blades work superbly with aggressive razors and vise versa, i now know how to use it without getting any irritation, i just use no pressure,a derby extra blade and get sublime results.Regards.:)
Did you get the full razor? I was looking at just getting the head. At £16 pound I don't think I can go wrong. I started DE shaving then found this site.

I am glad it works well with Derby blades. I am one of the few who will happily use them. Feathers on the other hand I have not worked up the courage to try them yet
Quote:..Feathers on the other hand I have not worked up the courage to try them yet..same here mate, there is nothing wrong with Derby Extra's IMHO they are a wonderful blade to learn your technique and work wonderfully in Aggressive razors..what works for me though, doesn't work for others...derby's get a bad rating, probably through shaving snobbish biased opinions..i still use them i couldn't care less what other DE shavers think. they work for me. Regards.;)

Last edited:
Did you get the full razor? I was looking at just getting the head. At £16 pound I don't think I can go wrong. I started DE shaving then found this site.
Yes i bought the full razor from Ebay.. at £16 pound that's a excellent price, go for it.i assume you can get a handle to fit it?..not sure on that, maybe someone can point you in the right direction on that.

Most handles will fit so if you already have a handle just buy the head, I use my R41 with a 16 x 85mm Windrose handle, I like the feeling of a fat handle and I use it on some of my other razors.

Back
Top Bottom