Your first car's story in one paragraph

1984 Burgundy Mini Mayfair 1000cc

Mini.jpg

Best car I ever owned, apart from the rust, bodyfiller, unreliability, stupid bloody distributer that used to eat sets of points on an almost daily basis. Used to race a guy in a Caterham seven to school each day, and I usually won. Max capacity, 8 people on the way back from the pub on our last day in the sixth form.

Renault 5 GT- Can't remember the age offhand (It was around a 1982 ish bought 1988) but it got me everywhere. It didn't like the wet very much and had a plastic bag round the distributor and a can of damp start in the boot for when I hit a big enough puddle it got wet and decided to cut out.
Otherwise it was a great little motor.

1983 Metro City 1.0 DEL 227Y

'Purchased' from my mum in 1990 when I passed my test aged 17. Not fast in anyway, but as a born petrolhead it was my first taste of freedom and for that reason, probably the most 'fun' car I've ever owned!

(photo of a photo, sorry for the quality)

IMG-20120405-00086.jpg

I bought a moggy 1100 when 17. Driving it home (from where I bought it) the subframe collapsed, I hit a gatepost and wrote it off. I left it there and called a scrappy and a taxi. The taxi that came was an old Humber Sceptre, and I bought it a few days later. A great car, I really enjoyed it for a few years, getting through a few engines, as they were cheap then from scrapped cars! I sold the battery once, as I'd run out of money and wanted to offer a girl a drink. I got to take her home (using the starting handle). I bought another battery on payday. Happy days.

love'n'joy
Lloyd

Naaaah, Im sure H was 1971, My H plate metro was a 1991 and I seem to remember there was 20 years between them.
[;)]
20268_304591292837_7157091_n.jpg

Metro 1
230061_16384322837_8728_n.jpg

Metro 2
230891_16383942837_7792_n.jpg

Metro 3
( you see a pattern emerging here on white BLMC chod....)

Annoyingly I cant locate a photo of the 1300. I'll keep looking.

One of these..........
[attachment=5267]

But mine was hand painted tangerine orange and black, I was 17 years old no licence, car had MOT and Tax so the police in South Wales left me alone. The roof leaked like a sieve and it had no carpets (no point they just went green with mould). Great times had in the car until some little shit nicked it and stuffed it into a ditch and bent the suspension. had a few minis after that, but got into motor cycles until I was posted to Germany and got my car licence.

Attachments

• 220px-1962_Triumph_Herald_948cc_Conv..jpeg
    220px-1962_Triumph_Herald_948cc_Conv..jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 16
Ford Anglia. Hand painted red. £35. Gear lever sawn off half length. No silencer box.

Time passes.

Idiot reversed into it when parked in the church car park. I was going out with the vicar's daughter at that time. It was the only car parked there and he reversed straight into it.

Insurance company paid out £29.

Must have been 1970 then.
I know the Metro was March 1991.

Just one of a line of white BLMC stuff that has cluttered my life, then mostly red Fords and mostly Blue Citroens....
Life can be odd like that.

My first car was a Cortina MK3 2.0 GT, It was my Dads car and when he bought a new car gave it to me, Then come the problem to insure it, as I was only 17 only 1 company would and it cost me £600 to insure back in 1984.

Alan

1984 was crysler avenger 1.6 GL was on T had it for a week was written off by big arse datsun wanting to park in my boot outside watford on the dual carriage was a small delay then waiting for insurance payout then to Capri Mk3 1.6GL again on a T plate had this till 1988 great car sheared a couple of propshafts but fun driving in the snow with it. Only car i ever had with vinyal roof ford champagne gold with brown vinyal roof.

1972 1200L beetle. Old English White, Luxury edition complete with carpet and a fuel flap that you pulled a cable on the inside and it popped out! It was rusty but I would have driven that car anywhere, and often did! This was the first one I drove, complete with a large speakerbox in the back with 2 6x9s and a whacking great amp plus some speakers up front and a CD player in the glovebox. Its the only car I've owned that has never given me issues, not once did it faulter in two years of driving it around. Ice on the inside of the windows was common as was driving around looking like I was going on an artic expedition. At one point it had a 1600GT engine, GT gearbox and sported GT wheels. Was never fast though. It finally succomed to tin worm in the heater channels that I didn't have the money to fix

I didnt grow up having cars around all the time and my dad didnt learn to drive until he was in his 30's and his 1st, 2nd and 3rd and final car were Vauxhall Novas so im sure you can guess which car i ended up with in 2001 a year after i passed my test!? Yep it was a Ferrari............nah..... it was a 1986 Vauxhall Nova 1.2 Antibes in White, with a blue interior and white VW Scirrocco wheels, i paid £90 for it and spent another £200 on getting it MOT's & Taxed, most memorable trip was going down the motorway with 3 other people in it, the rain was pouring i couldnt see anything as the heater wasnt working, the engine was coughing and struggling but we got to manchester (from blackpool) and parked up, after we had returned a few hours later (with a considerable amount of shopping) we then had the task of finding fuel - cue another 1-2 hours driving round on fumes looking for a petrol station all the time wondering when the car would conk out, but it didnt and we all cheered upon finding one (i was so happy that i played the theme music from the A Team at full blast upon leaving the petrol station - how stupid we must have looked!), 12 months after id bought it had to scrap it as the sea air had rotted it beyond recognition and the welding cost wasnt worth it so it went to the big scrap yard in the sky - D222 PFM (pretty f**ked machine). Typically history repeated itself 10 or so years on as i bought another white 1.2 nova for £180 (it was that or hire a car to go on holiday), it had 6 months mot & tax and i did 7000 miles in it, we went to the peak district, sheffield, leeds, york, and numerous other places and it never put a foot wrong, sadly a nearly vertical hill in the peak districts practically killed it after we got stuck behind a tractor which decided to stop and then it was very difficult to set off again from a standstill, it did however reach the top of the hill (we were willing it up as well!) but the engine seals had clearly suffered as oil consumption went through the roof so i patched it up as best i could and over the next few months kept and eye on the oil level until the last day of its mot then scrapped that too & got £70 back, the fuel economy on it was amazing as well - carbs all the way! Best cars in the world as far as im concerned (although im biased) :)

Back
Top Bottom