Your first barber shop shave

So the lunchtime shave verdict... Legend's Barber.

I took the girlfriend and her friend to the spa yesterday and was feeling a little left out! Never had a professional shave before so took the plunge.

The two guys in there are very friendly, and the place seems to have both chairs full and a handful of people coming in for bookings while I was in the chair too. Their barbery skills look excellent and the chaps coming out look smart - everyones in a suit. The shave took around 40 minutes, price £22.50 - seems a little steep perhaps in comparison to Ted's which is around the corner (£14.50 for the same thing; around £23 for hair wash/style/shave/ears etc.) - that will probably be my next venture.

The prep for the shave with a pre-shave cream, hot towel and then a shave with a shavette. The blade was changed during the shave too. I didn't see what cream/brush/blades were used cause I took my glasses off! I can describe the shaving cream as smelling of rose, perhaps more accurately Turkish Delight. The towel was also scented.

2 pass shave once with the grain, a second against the grain followed by another hot towel and post shave cream (which is still lingering with a fresh scent of lemon) and a face massage.

The shave was good - my face feels great and smooth, however on my neck I had a lot of reasonably small cuts but a lot of irritation, plenty of styptic was applied and I'm feeling the burn probably half an hour later. I never really shave against the grain so that is probably why...

Overall experience was good, shave, so-so, there is a patch on my neck that was missed and the burn is lasting as I mentioned, however my face is excellent. Also the place is excellent, small and friendly

As a first experience at being shaved, it was nice, but I'm left a little disappointed if I'm totally honest; I think I could do as good a job on the shave but the expeirence was certainly worth it. Don't think I'll be taking the team there though.

What was everyone else's first pro shave like?

This is the only reason I miss my country.

I am originally from India and when I was there I never used to shave myself.
Used to go to the barber twice a week (Monday and Wenesday) to get that amazing skin for the entire week.

It used to be a hot towel followed by a nice lather with some shaving soap, the shave was using a shavette with a new blade.
After the shave a hot towel again followed by alum and some after shave and a little face massage.

One of my friend used to go there with his straight razor and get shaved using that also (I dont know why he got one when he was planning to give it to the barber)

And it used to cost me Rs 15 which is equilant to 30 Pence. (I know what all of you are thinking now)

I felt the same way about my first barber shop shave. It was a delightful experience though and one I wouldn't have missed. I didn't get the soreness you descibe, had a comfortable shave but would have taken it closer myself.

All barber shop shaves I've had have been more about the experience than the shave.
As Fido said, he'd go closer, me too. My shaves at home are closer and more comfortable.
Barber shop shaves are good for the experience, but I can have a better shave at home anytime.

Something Ive never had:icon_sad: and still on my list of things to do.
I'm going to Edinburgh again in a few weeks so time permitting will seek out a barber there and indulge myself.

regards, beejay

I had my first at a Turkish barbers in York and it all felt a bit rushed. There was no pain or soreness but it was not very close and I felt short-changed with the hot-towel (which was only done after the shave, not before) and the "massage" felt decidedly half-arsed.

I would try another but not at the same barbers.

My first barber's shave was what opened my eyes to the potential of shaving. Sadly, it was only years later that I learned to do it myself.

andyjreid said:
All barber shop shaves I've had have been more about the experience than the shave.
As Fido said, he'd go closer, me too. My shaves at home are closer and more comfortable.
Barber shop shaves are good for the experience, but I can have a better shave at home anytime.

I'd second this.

I've had a few, from the T's in London, Waldorf in Dublin, and regular shops that I've stumbled across on my travels. Not one shave has been superior to what I can do myself, which is understandable, as they've met my face once or twice, I've known it a lot longer. Some have been brutal.

I came across the Gentry Grooming Co's concession in Kendals in Manchester the other week, but it came across as a bit commercial, so I left it alone.

Back
Top Bottom