Your #1 Value For Money Shave Item

Greetings

That's a tricky question because I was fortunate enough to purchase many of my SE razors not so many years back when very few people had any interest in them; vintage Gillette DE's were what most shavers were after. I own at least a dozen first class SE's that I paid around a fiver each for, in the case of some that is including postage! I think my couple of GEM OCMM's represent the very best value as I think they are the ultimate shaving safety razor and they are still cheap and plentiful to this day.

I have payed what I consider a lot of money for a couple of Heljestrand wedge blade safety razors and a Henckles safety razor in an Allegro stropping set but I still consider them superb value because of their condition, the engineering in them, their history and the wonderful shave they deliver and they were no more expensive than some of the high end modern stainless DE razors.

Astral Cream face/body moisturiser, the soft version in the tube which costs 2 quid. I find it absolutely wonderful, better than anything else I have tried at any price, including some of my daughters eye wateringly priced moisturising creams, that I used to 'steal' when she lived at home!

Tabac shaving stick, a massive stick (100grs) in a dispenser for under six quid, together with Speick one of, if not the, finest shaving soaps.

Quite often there is no correlation between price and performance but of course if you do not like or cannot get on with a particular product for whatever reason it is of no use to you even if it costs only tuppence!

Regards
Dick.

Greetings

That's a tricky question because I was fortunate enough to purchase many of my SE razors not so many years back when very few people had any interest in them; vintage Gillette DE's were what most shavers were after. I own at least a dozen first class SE's that I paid around a fiver each for, in the case of some that is including postage! I think my couple of GEM OCMM's represent the very best value as I think they are the ultimate shaving safety razor and they are still cheap and plentiful to this day.

I have payed what I consider a lot of money for a couple of Heljestrand wedge blade safety razors and a Henckles safety razor in an Allegro stropping set but I still consider them superb value because of their condition, the engineering in them, their history and the wonderful shave they deliver and they were no more expensive than some of the high end modern stainless DE razors.

Astral Cream face/body moisturiser, the soft version in the tube which costs 2 quid. I find it absolutely wonderful, better than anything else I have tried at any price, including some of my daughters eye wateringly priced moisturising creams, that I used to 'steal' when she lived at home!

Tabac shaving stick, a massive stick (100grs) in a dispenser for under six quid, together with Speick one, of if not the, finest shaving soap.

Quite often there is no correlation between price and performance but of course if you do not like or cannot get on with a particular product for whatever reason it is of no use to you even if it costs only tuppence!

Regards
Dick.

Thank you, Dick for your very full and insightful response :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My £40 39c out performs the £100+ razors I've been suckered into buying. It is still my #1 DE shaving investment; as for software, Haslinger at £6 a tub is my favourite soap amongst the 30 others I barely look at. MdC is a close second because while the initial outlay may make you blink, it lasts forever and gives your face everything it wants.

Amen to that. I concur with everything you say :cool:

Razor: Fatip grande, one of the best DE Ive tried & change out of £20 to buy a few of my next item
Soap: Palmolive stick, performance wise better than most & 50p ! I quite like the scent. Tabac stick is the close second, stellar performance & refillable to boot.
Brush: Omega 20102 boar, a great, great brush. My TSR Shavemac is actually runner up, 10x the price, worth every penny; it is head & shoulders better than anything else so actually represents decent value.
Blades: Astra SP in the green packet, I get a good result from them in any/every razor, they last & last, cheap, what's not to like?

Brush - Omega 49. Love that giant bugger at any price, but for $12? Huge bargain.

Razor - It would have to be a Schick E that I paid somewhere around ten bucks for.

Soap - I think it would have to be Pre de Provence 63. $15 might not be the cheapest to start out, but that quad milled puck will last you somewhere around 700 shaves. [emoji12] It smells fantastic, is easy to lather, and is plenty slick. Not the best soap I own, but it is a keeper.

AS - Plain unscented Witch Hazel.

Last edited:
Coming in at the top of the list, for me, would have to be a sick of ARKO at just a few AU$ which is just a couple of quid in the UK.

And a very close second is the Palmolive shave stick & shave cream. As the "Count of Undolpho" in post #19 said, you can add some essential oils and make a great lather. I have used a few flakes of the Palmolive stick with some Palmolive cream 2 drops of Tea Tree essential oil and this makes one of the most spectacular lathers I've had.

Good to hear seeing as I've just bought one! The plissoft, that is!
I mentioned in another post, I've been using the Plissoft for about a year and can't fault it. I had a badger brush for Christmas which was over double the price of the Plissoft and I've found it disappointing to use. The Plissoft and Tabac shaving soap is my favourite combination at the mo'.

Back
Top Bottom