You favourite TTO razor?

I have a US Aristocrat which shaves exactly the way it should, it is the "holy grail" of razors for me. And I've had a couple of hundred different ones...
It looks horrendous, especially since it gets no TLC whatsoever.

So US Aristocrat is my choice.

This is the way is looks right now at this instant: :s :s

EKC2e7X.jpg

DnE1E0S.jpg

kHKH1km.jpg

For those of you who don't know Max, he will wait in the shadows and lay low until some unsuspecting forum member puts up a WTB DE razor thread. Then, nine times outta ten he will just happen to have one of those for sale!

Having done business with him in the past, I can tell you the razor pictured in his post would be considered 'near mint' by his generous French grading system. Nice looking piece.

Oh, I meant to say bonjour in the beginning.......nuts. Max, I know exactly what you mean about not all the Aristos shaving the same. I culled the Fatboy herd over a long time and ended up with a few I find perfect. Same thing with the Aristos/Diplomats. I ended up with just a couple to actually use.

FrenchBlade said:
Martin, you kidding right? That's NOS right there, one careful owner etc...

Oh hell,

I just looked at my post and it seems some facetious humor crept into the darn thing.

Man, I gotta watch out for that.

majortom said:
Having tried most vintage TTOs, I rate the President in a league of it's own. followed by a#15 Aristocrat and a Milord.

The first President I tried just didn't quite fit me. That went to missingchin I believe, who loves the shave. So go figure. The one in my rotation is perfect, having been lucky enough to find one that's right for me. It's like what Max was saying about his Aristo.

Now not to screw with anyone's brain here, but I would bet there's people who have the wrong idea of what certain razors can shave like if they're a good fit. Yep, some people will try one like a US Aristo, get a very average shave, and figure they're all like that. Eeeeks.

dodgy said:
The first President I tried just didn't quite fit me. That went to missingchin I believe, who loves the shave. So go figure. The one in my rotation is perfect, having been lucky enough to find one that's right for me. It's like what Max was saying about his Aristo.

Now not to screw with anyone's brain here, but I would bet there's people who have the wrong idea of what certain razors can shave like if they're a good fit. Yep, some people will try one like a US Aristo, get a very average shave, and figure they're all like that. Eeeeks.
This is so true, I've used about 6 or 7 US aristos, and it's this one that I like.
Same goes for any other vintage Gillette, the same model might not feel the same at all. I've had the chance like Dodgy and a few others (Stevie!) to be able to try many more razors than the average member here, and I've yet to find two identical ones!

M.

Hiya,

My favorite TTO is the 1958 Executive, although the first one I tried wasn't a good fit and I sold it real fast. Took me a few more years to test drive another one found in the wild and that one was flat out perfect.

Basically it's a gold plated Fatboy with a Toggle knurling handle pattern for a nice grip.

Griffo said:
I've got 2 TTO razors, both bought in the last month, a Timor and a Feather Popular. I like the Feather a lot and it's been getting a lot of shaving time just recently.

2 here as well, also bought within the last 5/6 weeks - I too really like the Feather Popular, cracking value & quality for the money; the other is a 1963 Gillette slim which given its age gives a beautifully close & comfortable shave - really glad I bought it, especially as I obtained it for just above the price of a new DE89

mr..bean said:
Thanks fellas, I have started with a 58 Superspeed which I have been very impressed with and next up is a US Aristocrat.

Still like more suggestions!

The Timor is a lovely looking razor (IMO) but is it any good?

The Feather looks a bit of a bargain, fifteen quid delivered with Derby blades included. I think it's twenty quid without the Derby blades!

Ithe timor is finished really well and I'm very impressed with it in that respects but it takes a lot of skill to get good shave from it. You can do it but it's not easy.

the Feather cost me £12.90 from Connaught with 10 Trig, which, imo, are far better blades than the Derby blades. It comes with 2 Feather blades as well and, imo, it's a better razor than Timor.

FrenchBlade said:
I have a US Aristocrat which shaves exactly the way it should, it is the "holy grail" of razors for me. And I've had a couple of hundred different ones...
It looks horrendous, especially since it gets no TLC whatsoever.

So US Aristocrat is my choice.

This is the way is looks right now at this instant: :s :s

EKC2e7X.jpg

DnE1E0S.jpg

kHKH1km.jpg

Wasn't sure with the white stuff over it if that was a president or a lewinski.

Not a fan of gold finish razors but that model shaves very nicely. You got to keep trying till you find one that suits you.

Mine would have to be my aristocrat junior, always gives a nice shave with no irritation. I also have a US flare tip and the UK rocket equivalent which are OK but don't get much use. I also have a gold slim adjustable from 62 which I hate, I Just cannot get on with it for some reason no matter what setting, maybe I need to try another one to compare but I'm not that bothered, especially as it only cost £3 :D

The Aristocrat Junior #53 for me. I prefer smaller razors yet the #53 has a reassuring weight to it. I also like the shave: it's efficient rather than mild or aggressive per se. It's also a looker.

Back
Top Bottom