Yet more North American synthetics - this time from Maggards

Just received the razorock plissoft barber handle and love the brush, but tell you what, I'm liking the look of the purple swirl and the marble handles...

Just received the razorock plissoft barber handle and love the brush, but tell you what, I'm liking the look of the purple swirl and the marble handles...
Me, too. Only a couple of problems. Firstly, I have a brush in the making from Dorian. Secondly, I can stand just so much angst with things coming from the USA (or not, as the case may be). I may reconsider when my Blackland turns up, and the only other US import in the offing is my Single Edge.

OK, my Maggard Purple Swirl landed today...

5d96c69d9ad4027a12afb71c30a14e35.jpg

It's certainly a looker...

df563ecb896d9d437702285e60e072e2.jpg

Now let's give it a quick test...
  • Knot looks the same as Razorock Plissoft
  • Feels the same too (nice and soft with medium backbone)
  • Loft (if you take into account the variation in handle size) and density are the same too
99.9% sure its the same knot!

b5fbbdccc97bed0867a2aa5635b3289f.jpg

Last edited:
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. The only synthetic I currently have is from 'The Grooming Company' and cost, if memory serves, $35. Is shipping reasonable from Maggards?

Jim

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. The only synthetic I currently have is from 'The Grooming Company' and cost, if memory serves, $35. Is shipping reasonable from Maggards?

Jim
$16.50 shipping which ties in with the USPS rate card, so as reasonable as it can be.

There's also enough headroom to add 3 or 4 soap samples without bumping up the postage cost or if you want full products Maggards appear to apply proper increments, rather than rounding up to the nearest 1/2 lb

OK, my Maggard Purple Swirl landed today...

5d96c69d9ad4027a12afb71c30a14e35.jpg

It's certainly a looker...

df563ecb896d9d437702285e60e072e2.jpg

Now let's give it a quick test...
  • Knot looks the same as Razorock Plissoft
  • Feels the same too (nice and soft with medium backbone)
  • Loft (if you take into account the variation in handle size) and density are the same too
99.9% sure its the same knot!

b5fbbdccc97bed0867a2aa5635b3289f.jpg
After face lathering with Rose Of Bulgaria cream this morning, I'm now 100% certain that it's the same knot as the RazoRock. That of course isn't a bad thing.

After face lathering with Rose Of Bulgaria cream this morning, I'm now 100% certain that it's the same knot as the RazoRock. That of course isn't a bad thing.
It's the same knot as the 'Fauxmere' knots, sold by Chisled Face Groomatorium.

http://www.chiseledface.com/hardware/

Edit: Maggard's pricing is a bit better on the 22mm knot, though they don't carry the 28mm knot (used by Stirling in the 'Kong' brush).

Last edited:
Hey guys
Have any of you experienced any shedding? Had mine 2 days now and it has lost at least 20 fibers. As this is my second synthetic, I am not sure if this is the norm for this type of brush.

Back
Top Bottom