Yellow 5 (Tartrazine) in AS splash

:D:DYou do seem to be the font of knowledge in this area STTG, but be in no doubt that I'd rather have a few bubbles burst (no matter how painful) than continue splashing stuff on in ignorance...so your wisdom is greatly appreciated!;):)
Cheers GB! I recently bought an aftershave from DR Harris. It seemed a good choice at the time and has minimal ingredients. It's the Bay Rum AS. Initially I wasn't too keen on it and put it up on BST. After some thought I withdrew it and I'm using it again. That may be an option. Alternatively, don't use them at all or make your own which I think is the direction I'm going in. As a matter of interest, aftershaves were never intended to have a long lasting, lingering smell.
They were used to disinfect small cuts, sometimes from not so sterile razors. There are even a few cases where shaving resulted in death, usually attributed to a dirty razor...:eek:. So really, contrary to popular belief, an aftershave is not meant to be a perfume. And back in the day when rum was rum and men were men, water & alcohol was the aftershave of choice...

Yellow 5, CI 19140 or tartrazine isn't listed in the ingredients of Old Spice Original, as sold by Boots, and it also doesn't figure in the lists of Tabac aftershave ingredients that I've found.

Looking through various lotions and potions that I have to hand, it predominates in those which have any sort of green or greenish colour, or, obviously, yellow. Immediate examples are green Myrsol Formula C (Spanish), yellow Pashana (UK), greenish Florida Water cologne (USA), and most yellow/green Pinaud things (USA), and the yellow Floids.

Clear a/s like the Fine range (no artificial colours etc.), Lea, Pitralon, OSP splash and several others like Trumper's Skye have no colourings listed, and of course the other standby is witch hazel; either the 100% plain or scented Thayers, or Humphreys, the one of which I have is a witch hazel and alcohol mix.

Except for Tabac, which carries no ingredients on the white containers (can't remember if it's on the cardboard box), all the ones I've looked at are pretty thorough in their ingredient listings.

Speaking personally, my main aversion is to things containing parabens, which are mainly balms, soaps and creams, but fortunately, those seem to be getting fewer.
Hi @Ferrum could you tell me which witch hazel product you use. Thanks

Cheers GB! I recently bought an aftershave from DR Harris. It seemed a good choice at the time and has minimal ingredients. It's the Bay Rum AS. Initially I wasn't too keen on it and put it up on BST. After some thought I withdrew it and I'm using it again. That may be an option. Alternatively, don't use them at all or make your own which I think is the direction I'm going in. As a matter of interest, aftershaves were never intended to have a long lasting, lingering smell.
They were used to disinfect small cuts, sometimes from not so sterile razors. There are even a few cases where shaving resulted in death, usually attributed to a dirty razor...:eek:. So really, contrary to popular belief, an aftershave is not meant to be a perfume. And back in the day when rum was rum and men were men, water & alcohol was the aftershave of choice...
I have some D.R Harris Arlington...good stuff. I have previously posted about the different purposes of AS splash vs balms...the former intended as an astringent (usually witch hazel) and antiseptic (usually alcohol), whilst balms are intended to moisturise/re-hydrate and sooth razor burn. It's why I use both...the balm usually about 15 minutes after the splash. I agree, AS splash isn't intended as a scent...that's what cologne or EDT are for.

Hi @Ferrum could you tell me which witch hazel product you use. Thanks

I have Thayers Rose Petal with Aloe Vera, which has no parabens etc. and is undistilled witch hazel with the scents. It's about as pure a form of witch hazel as it's possible to get, and is also available in other scents as well as plain. It doesn't sting on application.

For an astringent aftershave witch hazel, I use Humphrey's, which has 14% added alcohol and no scent. As with Thayers, there are scented and alcohol-free versions. Mine is a distilled witch hazel base and alcohol, and that's all.

I daresay the various witch hazels from Boots and other chemists outlets will do the job. I prefer Thayers and Humphrey's, both of which are from the USA, because of the qualities I describe above. They also come in large 475 ml bottles which, given that they are not cheap to buy, does improve value for money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom